Chapter 5: A Note

Who chose what now?

---------2 Months Later---------

Phoenix woke up and yawned. He looked over at the other side of the bed. It was empty. He looked at the clock. 10:23. Phew. That explained it. He thought that after what happened last night something might have gone wrong. He really needed to trust Miles more. He said he was fine. And two months is a good streak to have for keeping a promise. Nothing was gonna happen so suddenly.

He got up with a stretch and got into a suit. When he walked out of his room, Maya was buttering a piece of toast. She looked over. "Morning, Nick." Phoenix yawned again. "Morning." He grabbed a bowl and grabbed the cereal. Maya looked over.

"Hey, those are my Cheerios." Nick stuck out his tongue. "Too bad. I bought them." Maya grumbled and sat down, angrily biting into her toast. Nick ate a spoonful of cereal and looked out the window. Why was Miles's car still outside?

He probably just walked. Phoenix thought. Maya fluttered her eyes at him "Do you miss your boyfrieend?" Phoenix groaned. "Sorry, Nicky, but he has to work on a case." 

"I want to hit you in the face with these Cheerios." Maya laughed. "At least I'd have them back!" 

"They aren't even that good, Maya! Like, these aren't even Honey Nut Cheerios or anything! They're just plain Cheerios! They're so bland!" Maya stuffed the rest of her toast in her mouth and folded her arms, shaking her head. "Guesh oo jusht don'd hab good tayshtsh den." 

Phoenix threw the spoon at her head.

It was almost 4 hours later when he realized Miles didn't have a case today. He stood up, sending his chair backward. Maya looked up. "Woah. You okay?" What was happening? Phoenix put on his jacket. 

"I'll be back soon. Watch the place while I'm gone." Maya looked worried as she put a pretzel in her mouth. "I might have to get going back to the village, Nick." She shouted after him. "That's fine, just lock up with the spare key."

Phoenix hopped on his bike. Please be safe, please be safe. He sped to the Prosecutor's building. He got off, not bothering to lock up his bike before running in. 

When he got to Miles's office, the bellboy from the Gatewater Hotel was standing there holding a piece of paper. There was a tray on the ground, and a broken teapot and teacup on the ground. It looked like they had been dropped, probably by the bellboy. "Oh, my.." His hand was over his mouth.

"What happened? What does it say??" Phoenix shouted. The bellboy just stared at him shaking. Phoenix grabbed the paper out of his hand. Written there, clear as day, in Miles's handwriting, was something that Phoenix would think about for months after. 

He would think of ways that he might have stopped it, might have convinced him to choose another option. He would blame himself, and so would others. He would think of everything that had happened up to that moment, every off move, every strange word.

 Every second of those months, of those days after that trial, he would run through his mind, searching and scanning it all for answers to that piece of paper. 

Maybe Phoenix hadn't supported him enough. Maybe he hadn't shown Miles how much he cared, how much Miles really meant to him. Maybe he said something wrong, and it pushed him over the edge. But he could never really understand what prompted Miles to write that note on that day.

PROSECUTOR MILES EDGEWORTH CHOOSES DEATH.

Do you like it :) :)

also I remembered halfway through the chapter that maya was in the village training in the games 

uhhhh maybe she was visiting for a day I don't know