Chapter 6: Her

Dont you love it when you get assigned a video with one of your biggest triggers talked about in depth in it with no warning so you eat snacks listen to green day and write fanfic because that's your coping mechanism apparently

"Come on, Nick. What happened to Edgeworth?"

"Oh, come now, Phoenix Wright. You didn't tell your little assistant what happened?" Maya scrunched up her nose. "I'm not his assistant!" Franziska laughed. "Of course you aren't. You can't even do that." 

Maya looked at the prosecutor angrily as she whipped the ground. "Phoenix Wright, are you going to say anything?"

"He's dead, Maya. That day you were visiting, I don't know what caused it, he just. He left the note on his desk at his office. He killed himself." Nick said bluntly. There was a second or two of silence.

"Well. I didn't think the cowering defense attorney would actually do it." Franziska said. Maya put a hand over her mouth. "Nick.. I didn't know." Nick looked back at her. "Yeah, that's obvious." He snapped. Her eyes widened a bit. Nick sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. 

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say it like.. I'm sorry. I'll go, um, talk to the clown." He walked off. Maya stared after him, as did Franziska. "What was that about? He seems overly distraught for someone who only lost their rival. Wouldn't he be relieved or something?" 

Maya turned to her. "You mean you don't know?" Franziska shook her head. "Well, I guess I can tell you, because of the circumstances we find ourselves in.

"The two of them had been dating, for about two months I think. But even before that, they were friends in 3rd grade. So was Larry, but Larry is a professional third wheel, so we don't really care about him." Franziska snorted. 

"I heard about Larry Butz. It seems he was a source of constant annoyance for my little brother." That pulled Maya up short. "Uh, little?" Franziska looked at her from the corner of her eye and raised one eyebrow. "Yes. Little." Maya decided to shut up for now. She didn't want to get whipped any time soon.

"But I never imagined him getting with an amateur defense attorney, especially that one." Maya put a hand on her hip. "He isn't that bad, you know." Franziska whipped the ground in front of her. "You're biased, Maya Fey."  

Maya put her hands on her cheeks in mock embarrassment. "Didn't think a hot prosecutor girl like you would remember my name." This earned her a flustered whip to the face.

"I'm gonna go help Nick out with this clown guy. Good luck solving the case, Franziska." Franziska scoffed. "Why are you wishing me luck? We're on opposite sides." Maya grinned.

"I never said I wished you luck on winning. Just on solving the case." Maya waved and walked off, leaving Franziska in the snow.

Maya got into the apartment, but Nick wasn't there. Moe was there, sure, but there was no sign of the attorney anywhere. But as soon as she realized that, he walked through the door. His eyes were slightly red and puffy. 

"Nick, you okay?" He looked at her. "Oh yeah, just wanted to, um. Just wanted to check for anything anywhere else." But he said he was going to talk to Moe? Huh.

"Okay, well, let's question this guy." Was there something on Nick's sleeve? It looked like a dark stain of some sort. She'd ask him about it later.

They finished talking to Moe and it was late. Maya stretched as they walked out. She turned over to Nick as they walked back. "You sure you're good?" Nick nodded. "Just a bit tired." Maya messed with her hair. "Sorry for making you talk about that." Nick smiled weakly and looked down. 

"It's fine." Was it though? Maya wasn't sure. But she didn't say anything as they walked back to home. She only "remembered" the stain once she was sure Nick had gone to sleep. She didn't want to wake him! That would just be rude. She decided to check it out for herself. 

She crept out and grabbed his coat, which was hanging in it's usual place over the back of the chair.

Is this blood? What's it doing on his sleeve? She looked over it. There was a little on the inside, too. What had happened behind that building?

How can I help it if I think you're funny when you're mad

Trying hard not to smile though I feel bad