Chapter 8: Confrontation

as we approach my 49th waking hour, I grab a cup of iced coffee and seem to nghsjdhjgksg

Phoenix woke up. He stared at the ceiling for a little bit and rubbed his head. Today was the day of the trial. Max was probably gonna burst into tears if he didn't show up, so he thought it best to at least make an effort. But what did he care if Max started crying?

Agh, why was he thinking like that?? This is his job. Max was his client. Of course he has to make an effort. 

When he got out he saw Maya looking in the fridge and staring longingly at the leftover half of the burger she had last night. Phoenix didn't even know where it had come from in the first place. "Maya, please eat something that isn't a hamburger for at least one meal." Maya rolled her eyes. 

"Ugh, obviously Nick, I wasn't gonna eat it for breakfast." She grabbed the milk but continued to stare at the Tupperware. Phoenix shook his head in (mostly) fake disappointment and turned to the table. Maya scrunched up her nose at him and grabbed the cereal box. 

"Maya, do you know where I put my jacket? I thought it was right here.." Maya turned around. "Oh, it's in the wash." Phoenix turned to her. "..Can you explain why please?"

Maya leaned against the counter and stared at him, her head tilted to the side. "Can you?" Phoenix raised his eyebrows and said nothing. Maya continued.

"What was that blood doing on it? And why was said blood on the inside of your sleeve as well as the outside?" Phoenix turned away again. "I don't have a spare, and we need to get to the court-" Maya cut him off, circling so she was in front of him.

"If you're in such a hurry, cut the useless chatter and start explaining." Phoenix stared at the floor to the left of her. Maya sighed. "Nick, you're the attorney, not me. It's your job at stake, not mine. I don't give a shit if you're late or not." Phoenix blinked. That was new. "What I do give a shit about is your health. Explain the blood." 

-------

"I'm sorry. I'll go, uh, talk to the clown." Phoenix walked away. He could hear Franziska ask Maya something as he went. He wasn't even paying attention to where he was going, and soon he found himself sitting with his back up against the wall behind the apartment building. I didn't know there was anything back here. I thought it was just a fence or something.

He smacked the back of his head against the wall. Why had he taken it out on Maya? She didn't have anything to do with it. She didn't even know what had really happened to him until now. Slam. Why blame your friend for something they had no part in? Slam. Why blame them for something they had just learned? Slam. 

Why blame them for something you caused? Slam. Why take everything out on one person instead of facing what you did? Slam. Why hide from the truth you already know? Slam. Why try to distance yourself from it if it's a futile effort? Slam. Why act hurt when you could've changed that outcome?

Slam.

He finally leaned his head down and watched the teardrops fall into the snow. He put his wrist up against the back of his head, feeling the fabric of his coat soak through immediately. That would look suspicious. But it wasn't like he was innocent.

-------

"Fine." Phoenix replied after a moment. "But it's a stupid story. When I was over there looking for evidence, I bumped my head and it started bleeding." Maya stared at him. "Oh. Okay. I thought it was gonna be some big reveal from the author or something, haha." Phoenix looked at her blankly. "The what." Maya flapped her hand at him. "Oh, nothing. Lemme go grab your coat."

aye 666 words