3- 𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐡

I gently grasped the railing and stared into the raging water below.

     Whats the point? Nothing is keeping me here.

     I hoisted my foot onto the railing, taking a deep breath. I was about to hoist my other foot up, but I heard footsteps behind me. I quickly backed away from the railing, not wanting the stranger to realize what I was doing.

     "Y/N- san?" I hear from behind me. I turn around and see the vice captain of the volley-ball team towering above me. I'm only 5 feet tall, so 5'11 is quite a height difference. 

     "A-akaashi- san, what are you doing here?" I stammer, fearful he was going to ask what I was doing, climbing on the railing.

     "Uhhhhh walking to school?" He says, his face somber. "You're in my math class, aren't you? First period?" He asks calmly. 

     "Yep," I say almost silently. I'm not exactly on to talk to others a whole bunch. Like I said, I really only have one friend. I look him up and down, noticing how nice he looks in his grey blazer and teal tie.

     "I dont think Kobayashi-sensei would be pleased with us if we were late, and were about to be so we should probably get going," He said as he started walking towards Fukurodani. "Hey y/n-san, what were you doing standing by the edge of the bridge like that?" Akaashi asked quietly.

     I looked at him wide-eyed. Shit shit shit I have to tell him what I was doing. "Uhh I was just looking at the water. Its n-nice." I blurted out. 

      "Are you sure you didn't go for a swim," He grinned, glancing at my wet hair. I giggled involuntarily.It felt weird, ot faking a smile or laugh. We still had a little ways to go until we reached the door of Fukurodani. I glanced at Akaashi he was walking next to me with his hands in his pockets. We really have never talked before now and it was strange that we met like this. I was so ready to jump, so ready to end it all, but he just showed up and saved me. 

     "Your the co-captain of the volleyball team, right? I didn't know second years could even be an assistant captain." I asked quietly. I'm so fucking awkward. I thought, grimacing.

     "Coach made an exception for me. And Bokuto-kun also dropped a recommendation," He cooed, obviously proud. My mind wandered to Bokuto-san. Ohh hes the owl looking third year thats the captain... I thought. I scanned my mind for any information I knew about volleyball. Nothing. I really have no idea how volleyball even works.

     "So Akaashi-san, what uh- position do you play?" I asked, hoping that was the right wording.

     "Setter," he says coolly. I frantically wonder what a setter does, trying not to look like a total dumbass.

     "Ooooh that's the one that hits the ball really hard over the net, right?" I ask hopefully. Akaashi lets out a low chuckle. Shit that's not right. Then it hit me. The setter is the one that gives the ball to the other dude and THAT dude hits it across. The setter. sets. the. ball. up.

     "Not that one, dummy," He said, adding a chuckle to convey he was joking. He gently bumped his shoulder into mine, but because of our height difference it was more like he bumped his elbow on my shoulder. My hand flew to my mouth the suppress a laugh. It felt so natural to laugh like that. I didn't have to force it at all and I actually felt happy for the first time in a while.

     Finally we made our way to Kobayashi-sensei's classroom. Somehow I made it through the whole walk without Akaashi asking about the bruise on my thigh. We were a few minutes late, being the last ones to arrive, but sensei didn't say anything, thankfully. I had never talked to Akaashi-san before now like that. It was mostly just a few sentences here and there. Akaashi-san was relatively quiet as well, and mostly kept to himself. I watched the back of his head carefully, admiring his silky black hair. I wonder what it would feel like to run my fingers through it, I thought. Woah- where did that come from I quickly pushed the thought away and began writing down the math problem on the board. He really was easy on the eyes. Especially in his school uniform. He probably looks amazing in his volleyball uniform too... Oh my no no no I can't be catching feelings. We talked once. I let out a small sigh, and looked at the black mess of hair in front of me. At once, I realized that Akaashi- san was the first person who made me laugh and feel happy in months.  

     "L/N- san. Are you even listening?" Kobayashi-sensei called out my name loudly. 

     Dammit I wasn't paying attention at all- I'm about to make a fool out of myself. 

     "L/N-san, what is the answer to the problem?" He called. I frantically looked at my paper, preparing to embarrass myself. I noticed Akaashi scribbling something rather large, and he scooted his paper to the edge of his desk and tapped on it loudly. I quickly realized he was giving me the answer I needed.

     "Uhhh 72√3," I say, straining to see the paper in front of me. Akaashi slowly slides his paper back in front of him, and erases the number on his paper.

     "Correct! Very good L/N- san," Sensei stated after checking his answer key. I took a shaky breath, thankful that Akaashi- san was there to help me. That could have been seriously bad, not to mention embarrassing. 

     Class dragged on slowly, and I stared at the clock, waiting for the dreadful period to end. When I finally did, I practically ran over to the man that saved my ass. 

     "A-Akaashi-san! Wait up!" I cried as i chased him down. "Thank you so much. Kobayashi-sensei would have had my ass if you didn't do that. I really really appreciate yo- it. I really appreciate it!" 

     "Oh its no worries l/n-san, I had the answer and you needed it. Its really fine," He said warmly, a small smile forming on his face. "Hey, L/N- san, would you like to eat lunch with Bokuto-kun and I?"

     I felt my face heating up, and I knew my cheeks were bright red. "U-uh, um sure! Why not?" I said a smile tugging at the corners of my lips. I gave in and gave Akaashi-san a grin as I walked away to my next class.

     "Meet me in hallway B and we can walk to get Bokuto-kun together!" Akaashi called as a turned around to listen. I gave him the thumbs up, practically giddy from being invited to lunch with the vice-captain of the volleyball team. I glanced at the clock hanging on the wall in the hallway. It was only 9:15 in the morning, and lunch was at 12. This was bound to be an excruciating 3 hours. 

How am I supposed to learn when all I can think about is this lunch today? 

~~~~~

Hey hey hey! I guess were gonna meet bokuto in the next chapter!! Exciting times am I right?  I think y/n might be developing a little crush hehe. Ill see y'all in the next chapter !!