1) I Hate The Silence

I can't fathom how things got here, to this point. The heart wrenching cries from my mother echoes across the room as I curl myself up into a ball, trying to lessen as much of my presence as possible. Blood splatters everywhere from each and every punch father aims at his intended target. I could feel my stomach twist into itself as I watched the beating get worse by the second.

"P-please! Charles! Let us go! We don't want to be here anymore!" Mother shouts, even as her tears run nonstop.

Father pauses for a split second. And the room suddenly drops to a freezing point. His aura has always disgusted me. It overshadowed everything and ruled over us. He was like a wolf raising sheep. His authority held no boundaries. I could hear his knuckles clench into itself. Turning it white, even with all that blood dripping down from it.

"You don't want to be here anymore?" He whispers, mostly to himself. Father places a hand on his face, covering his expression. The blood stains his shirt as it drops from his hand. I can see him shake. Shake from rage. "Is that right...," he grins madly as an icy cold glare is sent to mother.

Mother shakes in fear from every step he takes towards her. My hair stands up to no end, scared of what's to come. Father quickly grasped mother's throat, choking her. He slams her onto the table, shattering glass and destroying furniture. I pale at the sight of my mother turning blue, unable to breath.

Father laughs crazily as he sees mother's eyes roll back. I cover my ears, trying to block out the noises. But they only get louder. Louder and unbearable. Air escapes from my mouth as I try to yell at them to stop. This is escalating too much. But no word is spoken.

She falls limp, unmoving. And I find myself hearing my heart palpitating so fast it becomes harder to breath. I begin to hyperventilate as silence fills the room. It's loud. Very loud. Louder than any other time she was abused. Because, for the first time, there is no cry after the beating. No cry for mercy. Silence. Silence is all I hear. Excluding the heavy breaths from father, and the throbbing of my heart, this is the most silent our house has ever gotten.

Father slowly stands up. He kicks mother away as if she's garbage. He turns towards me. His eyes, unfocused. I immediately stop breathing, holding in my breath. He stomps towards me, grabbing the chain that's around my neck and yanks me forward.

"Now Esther...," father's face is so close that I could feel his breath on me. He gives me a smile. The same damn smile used to assure me that everything is ok. "You promised papa you wouldn't try to leave anymore, right?" He points his bloody finger towards mother. His smile distorts into a frown. "SO WHY DID YOU BREAK YOUR PROMISE?!"

I just sit there, unsure of what to do anymore. My eyes devoid of all emotions and any hope of ever leaving this place alive. Mother was my only salvation within this hell hole. And now, she's gone. Why must we suffer like this?

Father seems to take my silence as disrespect. Even though he's aware that I can't speak. This proves to me that he's not thinking straight. Father slams me up against the wall I was hiding near. The air escapes from me.

"I have one rule, ONE RULE!" He shouts so loud that my ears begin to ring. "NEVER, try to leave papa," father grabs a lock of my hair and rubs it. The blood smudges in between them, making my stomach turn. He brings it up close to his nose, taking in a deep breath. He grins at me. "Ah, the smell of money~"

That seems to bring back my senses. Tears run down my face as I take in the fact that I will never be able to say my first word to mother. Father lets go of the chain as the clatter of diamonds formed from my tears hits the floor. He scoops up as much as he can. His face, greedy to no end.