24) He's Super Weak

“So, how are your parents?”

Gon and I freeze at that question. Killua stares at us, confused. Gon grabs Killua’s arm and pulls him to the side. He whispers something to him, making him even more confused. My mind wanders to the time Mother and Father were still alive. To the time everything was dark.

I close my eyes; the memories are forever burned into my brain. The whispers from the back of my mind beckon me to go back. Back to that terrible place. I clutch my arms, hugging myself. Opening my eyes, I look back at Gon and Killua. Gon stares at me, concerned while Killua just stares. As if expecting something.

But I stare more at Gon. I’ve been with him for a very long time. And not once have I ever told him about my family. He’s never asked me about it either, so it became a taboo subject between us. Even after all this time, he makes sure I’m not forced into speaking about it. Perhaps…I should tell him something, just a bit…

Raising my hands together, I refuse to speak. My hands shiver ever so slightly, but I ignore it. I begin to sign. “My parents…Mother…she was very…optimistic…She, no matter what, always said we would see the outside world. And Father…” My face morphs into disgust. I rub my neck; the scar is still somewhat visible on it. “…he was greedy…greedy to the point that he would gladly hurt to earn more.

Gon and Killua glance at each other. “…Did you like your home?” Killua asks. I take the moment to think about that. What exactly defines a home? Is it the place you’re born and raised in? Or the people you live with? I care for Mother, but my hate for Father outweighs that entirely.

Staring straight at the two, I shake my head for a no. “Then why do you want to go back?” Gon asks. A sad smile passes me for a split second. If they weren’t looking so carefully, they’d miss it. “Because, Mother said she’ll show me something amazing when we both see the outside world.” Gon and Killua glance at each other, both clearly confused at that statement. But they don’t voice out their questions.

Suddenly, something close to bloodlust is targeted at us. Quickly turning to where that vibe came from, it just as easily stops. Whatever made that bloodlust is now gone. “Something wrong?” Someone asks. Looking towards who’s speaking, I see Netero. That’s weird, didn’t I just smell him on the other side?

“Ah, Mr.Netero…Did you see anyone coming from that side?” Gon asks. Netero smiles. “No.” “You’re pretty fast for an old man,” Killua glares at Netero. Netero rubs his beard. “That little trick? I barely moved.” I can feel the tension between Killua and Netero. “What do you want? You don't have to do anything until the last phase right?” Killua asks.

“No need to be so unkind. I got bored and was looking for some companions. By the way, I mean to ask you 3…any thoughts on your first attempt at the hunter examination?” Netero asks. Gon eagerly answers. “It's fun! And there haven't been any of the written exams I was dreading.”

Killua crosses his arms together, clearly still annoyed at the man. “I'm disappointed, I expected the exam to be much more difficult. I assume the next phase will be more exciting?”

I sigh, about to speak. “If I want to throw up after getting on some vehicle, I’ll gladly consider coming back here.”

“Well now, how peculiar indeed,” Netero says, rubbing his beard. Killua shifts away from Netero. “Let’s go guys,” he says. But before he could take another step, Netero asked something. “Now, wait a moment. Would you care to play a game with me?” Now that catches my attention. “If you are able to defeat me, then I shall let you become hunters.” Huh?

“Really?! I’ll play!” Gon agrees. Killua glances back at Netero, he doesn’t answer and neither do I. Netero smiles. “How about it, eh?” He asks. Killua shrugs. “Fine old man.” I nod in agreement. “Alrightly then,” Netero leads us into a room. He takes off his um… shirt? And gets a ball. He starts explaining the rules.

“Now, I'll go over the rules. If you can take this ball from me, before the airship reaches its destination, you win. I believe that we're scheduled for an 8 am arrival? Well that still gives you 9 hours. You're free to attack me however you'd like. I won't touch you.”

“Huh? That’s too easy. You can’t call that a game,” Gon says. Netero smiles. “Why not give it a try first?” Killua stares at the ball. “…We just have to take the ball?” Netero nods. “Yes.” “Then, I’ll go first.” “Go ahead.”

Killua goes up first. He walks around slowly in the room, Netero watches. The air shifts around Killua, it radiates just how tense he is. Then unexpectedly, after-images of Killua appear. He circles Netero.

“I see a lot of Killuas!” Gon shouts, amazed. I, on the other hand, am counting how many steps he’s making. Killua charges, trying to take the ball from Netero. Netero dodges, causing Killua to miss. Killua tries some more, going as far as kicking but he would always end up a few inches too far away. Netero starts to taunt him by going into different stances. Not once has Killua gotten close to reaching the ball. Killua stops and looks at him.

“What? That’s it?” Netero asks. He places the ball on his face, trying to mimic a seal-stance. Killua seems mad by that. He charges, feet first. He glides to the man and kicks him on his knee. Did I hear a metal sound?

“Ouch, that’s gotta hurt. Is Killua fine?” I ask. “Don’t you mean Mr.Netero?” Gon tries to clarify. I shake my head for a no. Killua’s grin is wiped clean off his face. “OW!” He prances around while holding his leg in pain. Gon takes this time to take his turn. “Killua, tap-in-tag-in!” He shouts.

Killua hops on one leg and high-fives Gon. Gon then goes in for his turn. I walk to Killua, taking out an ice pad from my sleeve as discreetly as possible. I hold the ice pad towards him, motioning him to take it. “Thanks,” he says. When he puts it on his leg, he turns to look at the game. Looks like he isn’t gonna ask where I got it from.

I can see Gon stretching, he had better not do anything stupid. We’re not outside. Gon charges forward, a quick first step indeed. He jumps high up and…hits his head… “OW!” Gon shouts. “Idiot! We know that you can jump really high! Control your strength! For a moment, the old man relaxed his guard,” Killua comments.

Gon gets up and starts walking, they continue for much longer. But the result is still the same. Gon, just like Killua, couldn’t even get near the ball. Then, it becomes my turn. “Gon!” I shout. Gon turns to me, he nods. Running up at me, we high-five each other. I walk up, stretching. I stare intensely at the ball.

“Shouldn’t Esther take off his hoodie? It’s obstructing most of his vision,” Killua asks in the background. “No, he has his reasons,” Gon says. Putting my hand behind me, I sign to them something. “Are you sure? You know what happens if you don’t use them,” Gon says, concerned. I glance back towards them, nodding.

-Gon’s POV-

“This is bad,” I say, crossing my arms. Esther circles around Mr.Netero. “What do you mean?” Killua asks. I glance at him. “I’ve known Esther almost my entire life, and if there’s one thing I’m positive about, it’s that he’s pretty much powerful when he uses his weapons.”

“So, you’re saying Esther is very powerful?” Killua asks. I nod. “So, you think he’s so powerful he might just hurt the old man?” Esther stops, he gets in his stance, looking ready to charge. I answer Killua’s question. “Yes, he’s so powerful when given a weapon but without one…”

Esther charges at Mr.Netero, missing the ball. He somehow trips, slamming his face onto the wall. He slides down, then gets up holding his injured face. “…He’s super weak.”