17) I Won't Throw Up

Gon laughs nervously. “Well…when you put it that way…,” the elevator stops. Looks like Gon’s saved. Gon sighs in relief. “I think we arrived,” Kurapika comments. “We’ll continue this later,” Leorio says. The door opens, I exit after the rest. Walking up to a wall, I lean forward and throw up in a baggy.

“Strange atmosphere down here,” Leorio comments. I look up, feeling a bit better. He’s right, I can feel the tension in the air. The candidates must really want this badly. “They clearly differ from the other candidates we saw. Each is a master in their own right…,” Kurapika says.

Gon walks up, he waves. No one responds to him. “Everyone is really tense,” I nod in agreement. I hear footsteps approaching. “Hello, please take a number,” a green man gives us badges with a number on it. Taking my badge, I look at my number. I’m number 406, Gon’s number 405, Kurapika’s number 404, and Leorio’s number 403.

“Be sure to wear this on your chest at all times. Be careful not to lose it,” the green man walks off. We wait around for a bit, until something foul catches my senses. Turning to where the smell is coming from, I see a fat man sitting above us. He’s carrying soda, isn’t he?

“Haven’t seen you guys around before,” he smiles. His number is 16. Wonder how long he’s been down here waiting… “You can tell that we’re new?” Gon asks. “More or less,” number 16 jumps off, I step back. “What’s wrong?” Gon asks. I point at my nose, frowning. “You smell something bad?” I nod.

“…You can walk around for a bit. Maybe the smell won’t reach you after a while,” Gon suggests. I nod and walk off. I can’t stand the smell of soda. I don’t like sodas. It feels funny in my mouth and reminds me of the disgusting medicine father used to give me. I clutch my arms at that thought.

I bump into someone by accident. “…Sorry…,” I apologize before walking off. My hairs stand up to no end. I sense danger. Glancing back, I see a man with the number 44. He’s staring at me with a strange expression. Looks like I’ll have to avoid him or I’m in danger. Settling up near a wall with few people, I pull out my notebook. I write down the usual information and sigh. A shadow cast down on me. I look up and see a silver haired kid with the number 99.

“Wow, what’s with all the names and numbers? Looking for someone?” Number 99 asks. I nod. He stares at me, intrigued. “Who are you looking for?” I flip to the page with fierce yellow eyes drawn. He stares at it, confused. “…You’re looking for yellow eyes?” I nod, he’s not completely wrong. “Why?”

I flip to the page where my home’s name is. “Cage? That’s your home’s name? I’ve never heard of that,” Number 99 shrugs. I sigh in defeat. Shouldn’t have been so hopeful. Someone screams. I quickly look towards there. Someone’s arm is slowly disappearing and becoming petals.

“You should apologize when you bump into someone,” number 44 says. He turns to look at me and smiles. It sends a shiver down my spine. If I didn’t apologize at that time, could that have happened to me? “He’s dangerous,” number 99 comments. I nod in agreement. Now that I’m smelling closer, I smell a faint smell of soda on him. My stomach turns from that.

“Oh, wait. Be right back,” number 99 walks away. He walks up to number 16 and asks for another soda. So, he was given the soda then. Number 16 hands him another soda can. But he’s holding a forced smile. Why? Is he scared of number 99? Number 99 drinks a bit of it before putting it up. He whispers something to number 16, and that makes him shiver slightly.

Number 99 walks back towards me. He smiles. I’ve only now noticed the skateboard he’s carrying. “I’m back. Was a bit thirsty,” he says. I nod at him as he sits down next to me. A thought just crossed my head. I put my notebook back into my sleeve as I held my hand towards him.

“…Name’s Esther…,” I say. He blinks a bit. Probably from the fact that I’ve finally spoken. He shakes my hand. “…Name’s Killua,” he says. A ringing echoes in the corridor. The wall I was sitting near starts to move up. I jump forwards, avoiding the moving wall. Looking behind me, I see a man without a mouth. Wait, maybe his mouth is the moustache?

“I apologize for the wait,” he speaks. “The entry period for hunter applicants has ended. The hunter exam will now begin!” The air shifts around me. Seems everyone is getting pumped. “A final caution. If you are short on luck or ability, you could very well end up seriously injured or even dead. Those who accept the risks, please follow me. Otherwise, please exit via the elevator behind you.”

He waits for a bit. No one leaves. Seems they’re willing to risk it. “Very well. All 405 applicants will participate in Phase One,” 405? Guess the handless guy doesn’t count anymore. Moustache man turns around and puts his foot on the ground. He starts to walk forwards. I walk to where Gon and the others are. Killua follows.

“I neglected to introduce myself. I am Satotz, the Phase One examiner. I shall lead you to the exam’s 2nd phase,” he says. “2nd phase? What about the 1st phase?” Someone asks. “It has already commenced,” Satotz answers. The applicants talk amongst themselves. They seem surprised.

“Guess we just gotta follow him,” Killua comments. “You must follow me to Phase 2,” Statoz says. I nod in agreement. “I cannot tell you where or when you must arrive. You need only to follow me,” Seems this test is testing our endurance. Be it physical or mental fortitude. Wonder how long until people start dropping like flies.

I hear wheels rolling on the floor. Glancing at my side, I see Killua riding his skateboard. I look at him confused. He just shrugs. “He only said to follow him,” Killua says. I nod. He did say that didn’t he?

Without warning, I hop on top of Killua’s back. His eyes dilate, shocked. “What the- what are you doing?!” He shouts, surprised. I rest my head on his head. “…He only said to follow him…,” I repeated what he said.

Killua blinks at that. He looks forward and continues to skate. I smell the soda on him. I just hope I won’t throw up.