15) To The Exam Site

After Leorio described what the Midoguda herb looked like, I left the cabin. Not wanting to hear what he had to say, I dashed east until I saw the cliff. If I had stayed a little longer, he might have brought up the fact that Kurapika told me to stay and protect them as well. Taking the rope that I found inside the cabin, I tie it to a nearby rock. I climb down with the basket on my back.

Landing underneath the cliff, I look around and see bushes which Leorio described. Staring at them, I pluck one just for testing. Sniffing it, I take a bite. Hmm…tastes sour. Cutting the herbs, I place them in my basket. I start to climb up again. But the smell of a Kiriko makes me freeze on site. The rope is tugged. Glaring at the Kiriko, I sigh. Well, I’m in trouble.

It just stares at me, waiting for something…what is it waiting for? “…Gonna drop me?” It laughs, it slips the rope a bit. I grit my teeth. So that’s what it was waiting for. For me to speak. The smell of familiar medicine catches my attention. I notice a small puncture on its arm. Isn’t that...?

“Where’s Leorio?!” I shout. The more it makes me speak, the more enraged I become. I’m already dealing with an itchy throat; I don’t need to strain it any further. Swinging myself back, I kick the cliffside, propelling me up into the air. I untie myself before landing on the ground, growling at it.

Placing the basket with herbs on the ground, I charge towards the Kiriko but it hops into the air. Apparently, it can fly. It swoops down onto me, but I quickly roll forward. It’s claws almost clawed my back. Putting my hand into my sleeve, I pull out a wooden pole colored green. I twirl it around as I dash forward to build momentum.

Slamming the pole towards the Kiriko, it dodges. But the ground it hit created a huge crater. Destroying this side of the cliff. Am I hearing things, or did it make a surprise sound? Quickly turning around, I point the pole at the Kiriko. Without so much as a warning, it extends. The Kiriko bolts to the side to avoid it but I twirl it around, hitting its side.

When the Kiriko crashes on the floor, I retract the pole and run towards it. Before it could get up, I firmly put my foot on its chest. I glare at it, daring it to move. “Where’s Leorio?” I ask once again. “You’re that man Leorio was treating. So, you were playing victim. Tell me why I shouldn’t slam my pole on your head.”

Glaring further, a thought crosses my mind. I stare at it a little more before taking my foot off it. The Kiriko stares at me in confusion. “…You’re our navigator?” The Kiriko blinks, then laughs. “Seems you’ve figured it out!” It says as it slowly sits up; I could see the damaged side where I slammed my pole on it. It rubs it.

“…I wish you had learned that sooner, could have avoided hurting me so much,” it says. My mouth twitches. I nod slowly at it. The Kiriko grins. “How did you figure it out?” I point at the puncture wound on its arm. It dawns on it. “Very observant! And don’t worry about him, I only knocked him out by giving a quick blow to the neck.”

I nod at that.

_

Walking into the cabin, I see Leorio laying on the floor. I walk up to him and shake him awake. “What happened?” Leorio asks as he slowly wakes up. “A Kiriko,” I state bluntly. I support Leorio in standing up. When he looks up, he sees the Kiriko. He points at it, alarmed. “There's a Kiroko in the cabin! Esther, why'd you let it in?!”

I pull out a sign and show it to him. “It’s our navigator.” “Our navigator?” Leorio asks, surprised. I nod. Walking outside, the Kiriko leads us to where the others are. I hear laughter from two people. Looking closer, it’s two more Kirikos. They smell somewhat different and the same.

“Oh, hey Esther! What happened to Leorio?” Gon asks as he waves at us. I point at the Kiriko. He nods in understanding. “Are you okay?” Gon asks the Kiriko. It’s still holding onto its side. My mouth twitches. I look away guiltily. “I’m fine. But this kid sure can pack a blow,” it laughs it off.

“Now then, it’s time to tell you if you passed or not,” the Kiriko says, walking up to the others. Leorio straightens ups, acting as if he’s already healed. But before the Kiriko can continue, I point at the other Kirikos. “…Which is who?”

“Oh, the one that was holding the lady was the husband. And this one is the wife. The lady was also actually their daughter and he is their son,” Gon explains. I nod, remembering their scents. If it’s by looks alone, I can’t tell the difference. Perhaps they sound different as well?

“It's been many years since someone could tell us apart,” the husband said. “How fun is that?” The wife said. They laugh at that. “Can you tell the difference between face or voice?” Leorio whispers at Kurapika. “No…not at all,” Kurapika sighs. I point at them one by one and hold a sign towards them, “Husband, Wife.

The husband claps. “Allow us to introduce ourselves. We are your navigators. Our family provides support for the hunter exam. The hunter exam site changes every year. It's quite difficult to locate.” “So, we Navigators help by guiding the applicants to the site,” the wife continues. “But we don't help every candidate,” the daughter continues. “We test candidates to see if they're qualified to take the exam,” the son ends.

“Kurapika,” the daughter says. Kurapika looks towards her. “Yes?” He asks. “You successfully used the vaguest of hints to determine that we weren't spouses. Kurapika demonstrated that he is very knowledgeable. Therefore, he passes.” “Way to go, Kurapika!” Gon congratulates. “Thanks.”

“Leorio,” the son says. “Yeah?” Leorio looks on, nervous. “You never realized my true identity. However, you dressed my injuries faster and more thoroughly than any doctor. Most importantly, you continued to reassure me that my wife was safe. Your kindness makes you worthy of taking the hunters exam. Thus, you pass.” “Really?! Thank goodness,” Leorio breathes a sigh of relief.

“Gon,” the husband says. “Yes!” Gon shouts eagerly. “Your superhuman physical abilities and powers of observation makes you worthy to take the hunter exam. You pass,” the husband smiles. Gon and I high-five. Now all that’s left is me.

“And Esther,” the son says. I nod towards him. “Your insight in discovering my true identity from a faint needle mark and your quick thinking in an unexpected situation, is worthy of praise. You too, pass.” “Way to go!” Gon shouts as we high-five again. The wife smiles at all of us. “All 4 of you have passed. We shall lead you to the exam site.”