4) I Agree, Nonetheless

I can feel someone shaking me, trying to wake me up. My first thought was, 'It could be father...' but then my next thought was, 'father's dead.' I snap open my eyes quickly. And see spiky hair. With the sun shining on it, the hair is outlined green. Wondering how it feels, I reach out to touch the hair. But it immediately moves away from my reach.

Looking closer, I see the silhouette of a young boy. Probably around my age. He stares at me with a curious expression. Not one full of greed. The boy extends his hand towards me. And by instinct, I immediately slap the hand away. I instantly regret that decision. I stand up, and back away from the boy. He blinks while I tumble from a root sticking out from the ground. I can hear him walk towards me slowly.

"It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you," he says with such conviction that I was almost inclined to believe him. But from what I have seen so far, only mother is trustworthy. I stare at him, long and hard. Watching for any sign of movement that would be intended to hurt me. He once again holds out his hand and grins. "Hi, my name is Gon. What's your name?"

I blink, surprised. Not from him grinning at me, but from the fact that he asked for my name and not what I am. That makes me relax somewhat around him. I shake my head for a no. Since I am unable to speak. He doesn't seem to get it.

"Are you perhaps lost? Cause I've never seen you here before," Gon asks. I frown at that question. Because, in a way, I am. I've lost my home, my family, and my hope. Home was all I've ever known. But now that I've finally left it, what should I do? I didn't think I'd get this far. Gon steps closer. "Maybe I can help?"

I growl, warning him to stay back. Even if he seems nice right now, he could just be acting. Father used to do that a lot. He stops walking but holds his hands up in the air. As if to surrender. I just stare at him, confused.

"I promise you; I'm only trying to help. I saw you sleeping by the river bay, and that poisonous mushroom you ate next to you. You must be hungry, right? Is that why you ate that?" He asks. I look towards the half-eaten mushroom that's laying on the ground. And give him a slight nod. He smiles while taking something out from his pockets.

"Here! You can have them!" Gon holds out two oranges. I just stare at it, suspicious. Looking into his eyes, I try to find any utter motives behind them. When I don't find any, I pick up the oranges. This is the first time I'll eat this. Sniffing the food, I don't find anything that would be considered poison. Taking a bite, I spit it out. It tastes strange.

"No, that's not how you eat it. Here, let me help." Gon takes one of the oranges from me. I watch him peel it and copy his movements. After taking off the skin, I take a bite. My eyes light up as the juice pours into my mouth. It tastes sour, and it's delicious. Gon holds out the peeled orange and I quickly grab it. I shove it into my mouth, feeling bliss.

"I have more at home. Do you want to come over?" He asks. I just stare at him as if he's stupid. Why would you invite a stranger into your home? That's how bad things happen. I shake my head for a no, not wanting to be locked up there too. He looks sad at that answer.

"Oh... That's okay. I just have to befriend you first, then ask you again! Right?" He asks me for conformation. I think about it for a while and nod my head for a yes. He beams at that. "Then it's settled! When you become my friend, then you can come over!"

Wait, a friend? What's a friend? Mother never taught me that word. Although I have already agreed, my mind races for any idea of what a friend might be. I completely miss the way Gon holds out his hand for a handshake, absentmindedly slapping it away again. After coming back to reality, I blink at the sound of birds chirping up high. The rustling of leaves makes me perk up an ear. Without a warning, I stand up and run away.

"Wait! Where are you going?!" Gon yells. I climb up a tree and look towards where the wind blew. Following the scent, I see a village full of people. They all seem happy and...smiling... It's a place, without my father. "It looks fun, right?" I hear Gon ask from behind me. I jolt in surprise, feeling the branch underneath me break. I quickly grab onto another branch, dangling.

"Hold on!" Gon yells. I feel my stomach twist into itself, thinking that I'd rather fall to my death instead. As I think about his hand grabbing mine, my tail twitches in protests. I feel something leave me. And I open my eyes to the sight of gloves covering my hands. We both freeze. "How did-" My hand slips. Seems that I'm tired again. He grabs hold and pulls up.

Slamming into Gon, I look down at the floor. If he hadn't grabbed me, I would've fallen to my death. I gulp and turn to look at him. He grins at me. "That was a close call, eh?" I nod, retracting my arms from him. He starts to climb down the tree. And I follow, somewhat far. When he lands on the floor, he holds out his hand once again. But this time, I take it.

"Looks like I win!" Gon says. I look at him, confused. He smiles. "You took my hand. See?" I stare at our handshake. Coming to a realization that, perhaps, he considered this 'friend' thing of him earning my trust? Is that what a friend is? A person you can trust?

Gon pulls me towards where the village was. Not at all letting go of my hand. The closer we get to the village, the more worried I become. This kid may be okay in my book, but I'm not so sure about the others. I think he senses my discomfort because he gives me a reassuring grin. "Don't worry, I'm sure someone in the village can help you."

My look may have not been convincing because he continues to reassure me. When we arrive at the village, I hear gasps. I immediately duck behind Gon, trying to shrink my presence as much as possible. Gon looks around in confusion. "Is something wrong?" He asks. One of the villagers walked up, pointing at me. I've always hated when someone pointed at me. It reminds me of father. My anxiety shoots through the roof. And I hug my tail tightly.

"What is that 'thing'?" The villager asks. I pale at the word 'thing'. Gon blinks and follows the direction he's pointing at. His sights landed on me. Gon turns back to stare at him in confusion. "I'm not sure what you mean by 'thing', but if you mean him, I'm helping him because he's lost," Gon states.

The villager's eyes examine me deeply. I try to cover up the many scars I've received at home, but I think he saw some of it. He turns to stare a Gon. "Gon...," he starts. "You can't just bring wild beasts into the village willy-nilly like that. Who knows what it could do?"

I glare at the word 'beast'. I've been called that one too many times. And he seems to take that as confirmation that I'm a bad guy. Cause he backs away quickly. "Take that beast back into the forest. It's not safe."

"You shouldn't call someone a beast. It's not nice!" Gon shouts with conviction. He tightens his hold on my hand. I stare at him, shocked. Is he truly willing to fight with his own family just to have me as a friend?

"What is going on?" I hear a woman shout from behind the crowd. The people let her pass through, and I see her orange hair. Gon smiles at her and shouts, "Aunt Mito!" I scoot in even more behind Gon. It seems he knows this woman. "Who do you have there, Gon?" She asks.

"This is my friend that I met in the woods. He looked hungry, so I gave him oranges." He grins. Thinking about the oranges, a small smile passes quickly on my face. If Mito wasn't looking so closely, she'd miss it. She takes a moment to glance around the crowd. Their faces read 'take that thing back into the forest'. I clutch my tail, waiting for her verdict.

"...Why don't you bring him back to our home. He must be hungry from only eating oranges," she says. I stare at her as if she's also crazy. Why would you let a stranger into your home as well? What is wrong with these people?

"Did you hear that? You can come over!" Gon shouts happily. I nod. He walks past the many stares and up a hill. I could hear the whispers amongst the villagers. They're mostly asking what she was thinking. "That was my Aunt Mito," Gon says while we walk along the path. "She takes care of me like a mother. And please forgive the villagers, they're usually much more kind."

My ears drop, indicating I'm sad. Of course, they'd hate me. I'm not human. I agree, nonetheless.