14) Not Wanting To Talk Anymore

“Stupid brat! Apologize!” Leorio shouts at me. I continue to ignore him. He dries off his wet clothes while Gon and Kurapika peddle. I don’t know how Gon convinced Kurapika to not try and help, but the entire time, he’s been yelling the whole way. I hear something hit the boat. Looking into the water, I see a sign floating away.

“Wasn’t that a warning for magical animals?” Leorio comments while rubbing his chin. “Yeah, seems so,” Kurapika agrees. “Magical animals?” Gon looks towards me. I shrug. “Perhaps it’s the same as Magical beasts? Although I am unsure why they refer to me as a beast and not an animal as well.” Gon makes a thoughtful expression.

We continue to paddle as a fog surrounds us. “…Say, I’ve been thinking, how do we impress the navigator? I have no idea,” Gon asks as the fog gets thicker. Something doesn’t feel right… “Well we can-” “I guess it's appearance. I'm sorry to say this but Gon, you stand no chance. As for Kurapika, you're not tall enough. And Esther, I'm afraid they will have to be blind to accept you. Taking that into account, I'm the only one among us who can impress the navigator,” Leorio says, cutting off Kurapika.

“Don’t kid yourself old man,” I taunt him. Although he smells young, he still looks old. “Why you little-!” “And it takes more than just physical looks. Something else…like intelligence and shrewdness. As for you, Gon, think of something you excel in,” Kurapika interrupts Leorio. “Something I excel in?” Gon asks. “You don't notice it yourself, but you excel in many things. At least more than Leorio.”

“For me, it’s my courage. I wouldn't get scared no matter what monsters I encounter,” Leorio grins. “Because you're too stupid to notice danger,” I mumble. He still heard me. “Why you little-!” The water shifts behind me. Turning around, I see something slowly arising from the lake. The fog slowly dissipates in that one area.

“Leorio…behind you…,” Kurapika says, pointing at the monster with a shaky finger. “Behind me?” Leorio asks. “Look,” Gon struggles to smile. Leorio turns around, he screams. Grabbing the paddles from both Gon and Kurapika, he begins to paddle fast. He paddles strong enough that it's literally picking up the boat. We hit a rock; it sends us flying. We crash on sand while Leorio continues to paddle. I get off the boat and vomit. Gon rubs my back.

“Leorio,” Kurapika walks up to him. “Huh?” Leorio pauses. “You can stop paddling. We’re on land and far away from the monster.” He smiles. Leorio looks around. He seems embarrassed. He grabs his suitcase and gets off the boat. Looking out to the lake, he makes a thoughtful expression.

“Even this lake that's as big as the ocean can be crossed quickly if I row the boat,” Leorio comments. Scratch what I said before about him. Turns out, he’s too stupid in how he notices. “Is this a ruin?” Gon asks. Turning around, I see a huge statue of some sort. What is that?

“It seems like a relic of the ancient Sumi Tribe,” Kurapika says. “Can you read it?” Kurapika stares at the relic for a short while. “…Many parts are missing, so I can't say for sure… It seems like this is a warning for those who trespass this ruin.” “Hey, forget about it. Where is the way to the cabin?” Leorio asks.

Looking around a bit, I see some crossroad on the shoreline. I wave to Gon, he notices too. “I think it’s right there,” Gon points towards it. “It looks like a long, winding road to me. You sure it’s that way?” Leorio asks. I shrug. If it isn’t it, we’ll just walk back here.

Before I could take one step, my hairs stand up to no end. Quickly glaring into the forest area, I could have sworn I felt someone watching us. Taking a sniff, a strange smell that doesn’t smell like the forest is picked up. Perhaps…it’s a magical animal? Maybe I’m jumping to conclusions…

_

Trees, trees, far as the eye can see. An owl keeps hooting while I glance at anything and everything. Thinking back to the harbor, now that I think about it, that’s my first time seeing such huge buildings. I should have studied them more. Not only that, I keep seeing statues and warning signs about magical animals.

“Another beware of magical animal sign? I’m starting to think we’re never going to find this stupid exam site. Guys! I’m so hungry! And I need to take a dump!” Leorio complains. At least he always has something to say… “Leorio! We’ll leave you behind!” Gon shouts as we walk off further.

“I see it!” Kurapika shouts. There’s a cabin in front of us. We walk up to it. Leorio knocks on the door, nobody answers. I pick up the stench of something awfully familiar. “It’s strange that they're not here… She said that there was a couple living here,” Kurapika stares at the door in confusion.

“Doesn't seem like other applicants have reached here yet. We're the first,” Leorio says. I tug Gon’s hand. He looks at me, and nods. Turning to look at the others, Gon says “Guys, there’s something off about this.” Kurapika nods. “I’m going in,” Leorio opens the door. Looking inside, we spot a beast holding a lady while a man is on the floor bleeding.

“What the-!” We get into our stances, prepared to fight. “What is that?” Gon asks. “A transformation magical beast, the Kiriko! They can take human form! It's an extremely intelligent creature!” Kurapika quickly informs. The Kiriko pounces past us with the woman in hand. Gon and Kurapika chase after it.

“Leorio, take care of the wounded! Esther, make sure no magical beast enters the cabin!” Kurapika commands. Leorio and I shout, “Got it!” They run off into the woods. Leorio and I stay inside the cabin. He’s currently treating the man that’s wounded. For some reason, he smells similar to that Kiriko. Come to think of it, so did the lady. Maybe that Kiriko’s stench is just too powerful?

“This will do for now. But you need antibiotics for that wound. Isn't there any place where the Midoguda herb grows?” Leorio asks the man as he puts up his needle. I’m still not calm around them... “Yes, there is but…it’s kind of far and there might be magical animals around,” The man says. “How can I take the hunter exam if I’m afraid of magical animals?” Leorio grins.

“But…my wife, my wife is…!” The man begins to cry. My stomach turns. Turning away from him, my mouth twitches. Seeing someone cry for something they have no control over makes me mad. I don’t want others to feel what I felt. That hopelessness and despair. I just won’t allow it.

“Don't worry. Gon and Kurapika went after her, she'll do fine. They'll return shortly. Anyways, where is the place the Midoguda herb grows?” Leorio asks calmly. “Ah, that is…underneath a cliff side east of here,” the man says. “I’ll go,” I say. They turn to look at me. “You can’t leave, you promised.”

“Didn't you promise Kurapika you'd watch out so magical animals won't enter the cabin? Anyways, do you even know what the Midoguda herb looks like?” Leorio asks. My mouth twitches. “…no…,” No for the promise or no for the herb? I have no idea. I take my notebook out from my sleeve and walk up to them. “…Describe it,” ouch, my throat feels itchy.

“Do you carry that everywhere?” Leorio asks. I nod, not wanting to talk anymore.