9) Think Carefully Before You Answer

Gon and I see many tough looking applicants. Two of which, seem younger than the rest. I follow Gon as we explore the ship. The sounds of products falling out of a box catch our attention. Looking over, we see 3 people. One of which is on the ground.

“What are you doing Katsuo?” One of the men standing mocks the man on the ground. “At this rate, you’ll never make a decent sailor.” The other also mocks. Katsuo tries to get up, but he’s kicked from behind. He falls onto the box of green apples. This causes Gon to become mad. We walk downstairs as the men continue laughing at Katsuo.

Before Gon could say anything, a door opened. And someone carrying a bear bottle walks out. He looks over at the commotion, and yells. “Hey, losers!” His voice sounds familiar. He must be the captain who shouted at everyone to board the ship. “Don’t slack off!”

“A-aye, sir!” The two mean scurries off, leaving Katsuo alone. He quickly tries to pick up the green apples as the captain approaches him. “Hey…” Katsuo jolts. He looks up at the captain. “Didn’t you hear me? Move that box!” He yells. “A-aye, captain!” Katsuo quickly picks up the box. But before he could leave, Gon shouts for him to wait.

Katsuo looks back at us as Gon tosses a green apple at him. “Thanks!” Katsuo says as he catches it with the box. He runs off. I look at Gon with a frown while he laughs at me. He pats my back repeatedly as I keep sulking. “Esther, it’s not nice to steal from others. Wait till we get to the Hunter Exam. I’m sure there will be plenty of food.” I sigh in retort.

The sounds of seagulls make me and Gon look up. “A storm is coming…,” Gon says, I nod. The captain turns to us, surprised. He stares at Gon. “How can you tell, boy?” He asks. Gon points at the seagulls and smiles. “That’s what the seagulls are saying. Plus…,” Gon adjusts his nose. He and I sniff the air. After taking a smell, Gon jumps upwards. I stay.

“It’s a huge storm that’s coming!” Gon shouts. The captain looks even more shocked. “It’s true! I can tell by the smell!” I sign at Gon. “Not to mention that the air tastes more salty than usual.” The captain turns to look at me. What surprised me the most was that he seems to have understood what I just signed. Gon jumps off the pillar and lands near me. The captain stares at Gon, as if he sees something in him.

“…And how long until the storm arrives?” The captain asks. “Two hours,” Gon and I say in sync. We look at each other. Gon smiles at me while I look away, my mouth twitching while holding back a grin. The captain stares at us for a few seconds. He then begins to laugh.

“I’ve been in this business for a long time, but you’re only the second people to guess that right,” he turns to look at his crew. “Losers! Lower the sails!”

_

The once clear skies are now clouded over with heavy rains hitting the ship. Gon and I are inside the deck, waiting for either the storm to blow over or to arrive at the Hunter Exam. Many applicants are being thrown like rag dolls across the ship. I can feel the waves crashing and slamming into us as the ship rocks back and forth. Gonna feel that once I get off. I stick to my spot between two walls. I don’t want to get flung off since I weigh next to nothing.

Looking around, I see Gon passing out medicine for those who are seasick. Someone crunching on an apple catches my attention. Turning to look at him, I see a man who looks like an adult eating a green apple. Wait, he smells young. Is he not an adult then? The pages of a book flipping echoes around the room. Some other teenager is reading on a hammock.

The door opens. I see the captain looking around. He seems disappointed by what he sees. But then Katsuo dashes passed him, running with water at hand. He gives it to Gon who helps someone drink it. The captain shouts, “Those who can stand, meet me at my office!” And leaves.

Gon, I, and the other two leave the room. We arrive at the captain’s office. There, he tells us to tell him our names. “I’m Gon!” Gon shouts while grinning. “I’m Kurapika,” the teen who was reading a book said. “It’s Leorio,” the old looking teen said. “I’m Esther,” I say, rubbing my hands together.

“And why do you want to become Hunters?” The captain asks. Leorio immediately refuses. “Hey! If you’re not an examiner, you can’t boss us around!” The captain looks at him, not pleased. “Just answer the question!” He retorts. Gon looks at Leorio before answering the captain’s question.

“My dad’s a hunter. I left Whale Island because I wanted to know why my dad desired to be a hunter,” Gon answers. “Hey kid! You’re not supposed to answer his question!” Leorio shouts. “I’m looking for a clue to find my home,” I say. “You too kid!” Leorio screams in my ear. Gosh he’s loud.

“Why can’t we tell him why?” Gon asks. Clearly confused. Leorio crosses his arms. “Cause I don’t wish to reveal why I am here.” “I agree with Leorío,” Kurapika butchered his name. Leorio doesn’t seem too pleased. “Hey! Aren’t you younger than me? Show some respect!” He shouts.

Kurapika completely ignores him. He goes on to say that he as well won’t tell his reason. The captain huffs, taking a drink from his bear bottle. “So, in other words, you refuse to answer my question. Hey, Katsuo.” “Aye, captain!” “Tell the examination board that we have two more dropouts.”

Kurapika and Leorio perk up at that. They ask what he means. A small huff escapes from me as Gon looks around in confusion. The captain stares at them as if they’re idiots. He takes another drink from his bear bottle. “You still haven't figured it out? The hunter examination has already begun.”

WHAT?!” Kurapika and Leorio shout. The captain puts down his bear bottle. “There are many hunter wannabes as there are stars in the sky. The examiners don't have time or resources to review them all. So, they hire people like us to trim the fat. I've already notified the board that everyone else on this ship failed.”

The captain takes out a pipe. “If they couldn't handle a little storm, they'd stand no chance in the hunter examination's later stages. In other words, you only proceed to the main exam if I pass you. So, think carefully before you answer my question.”