Children of Arkham: Broken Memories

Crime Alley; 5:38 am:

After learning about that his and Alex's parents were linked to organized crime, Bruce visits Crime Alley as it rains to collects his thoughts.

Thomas: (Flashback) ...You... you don't have to do this..

Alfred: (Flashback) ...Only you now, Masters Bruce and Alex...

A couple car doors are closed and Bruce turns to his side and sees Alex and Alfred walk toward him before turning back.

Alfred: I thought we might find you here. The news was upsetting—for all of us.

Alex: You need to see this.

He pulls out a newspaper with the headline, "Mob money behind Wayne Fortune?"

Alex: We knew you would come here for solitude, Bruce.

Alfred: More allegations about his ties to the underworld. This isn't going away. It's all so public and messy.

Bruce: (To Alfred) Tell me all of this is a lie.

Alfred: I wish I could! There were no angels in Gotham, you two. Maybe there never were. (Bruce walks away a few feet and reads the paper) I've been dreading this day for nearly 2 decades. I... I hoped it would never come.

Alex: Alfred, we want to hear it from you. We want to know the truth about our parents.

Alfred: The truth is they were billionaires. You can't amass that kind of wealth without making certain moral compromises. It's just not possible. That kind of money taints you.

Bruce: The money has never corrupted me nor Alex.

Alfred: And I'm proud of the both of you. But you're hardly the norm. Hill greased the wheels of politics. Falcone was the muscle. Thomas legitimized the whole enterprise with his name. Your father, Hamilton Hill, and Falcone— they were partners. Nothing happened in Gotham without them knowing.

Alex: How could he work with terrible people like Hill and Falcone? Accounting: I can see, but making a pact with the devil?

Alfred: Your father was a good man in many ways, but this was his undoing. I want you to know, I had my suitcases ready. I couldn't stand to be around your father anymore. But then, they were killed. And the both of you were all alone. And I couldn't just walk out the door. Everything I did— everything I've ever done— was out of love for the both of you. I hope you can forgive me.

Bruce and Alex share a look before looking back at Alfred.

Bruce: I think I speak for the both of us when I say how can we hold this against you? You're all we've got, Alfred.

Alex: You have been there by our side and you've taken care of us for years since that night like we were your own.

Alfred: Thank you. I won't let either of you down again. (Looks at the area where Thomas and Martha died) This is the first time I've been back here since that night. When the police called me to collect you both, I thought they'd finally arrested your father. I couldn't believe a lowlife thug like Joe Chill would have the audacity to rob and kill Thomas Wayne. He was simply too well known. Too... too big. Yet, there it was.

Bruce: If our father was that deep in crime, he would have had enemies.

Alfred: Well, it's a fair assumption. You don't think...

Alex: Someone must have had a part in killing our parents. If they kill a big time crook, they would want to take their role and have more power at their disposal.

Alfred: That could be, but you always said it was a simple mugging. In 20 years, neither of you have wavered from that story.

Bruce: The both of us can recall every moment of that night in vivid detail.