Chapter 9

"Hey, Luce," we were sitting on his couch in a weird mixture of comfort and uncomfortable silence. Well, until he said that. "Yeah?"

"Nevermind."

"Natsu, what's wrong. You sound upset."

"It's not any of my business."

"Natsu, I can tell you're concerned about something."

"If you really wanted to know, you'd read my mind."

"I can't do that. I can only open up a communication between us. I can read other vamps minds if they let me. But humans, nada."

"Oh... That's lame."

"Oh... I'd like to see you do better," Natsu puffs his cheeks out. "Now, spill."

"I don't wanna bring up any bad memories."

"You're making me nervous, just please. I'm sure it doesn't affect me that bad."

"I can assure you it does. I've seen how you react to people mentioning it."

"Oh, I see. You're talking about my parents, huh?"

"I thought you said you can't read mind!"

"I can't, dimwit! It's called basic deduction! It's the only thing that makes me feel emotional."

"Yeah..."

"So what is your question, I can handle it. I promise."

"Okay... I just was curious to know about what happened to them."

"I figured. Long or short version?"

"I got time, whichever is easier."

"I suppose this is as good of a time as any to delve into it. Not even the others know too much about them," Natsu scooted closer to me. His head faced me. He really focused his attention on me, more than I thought I needed. But, I think I do. "Before I start, vamp tears are different. They are made from our plasma. The color of vamp plasma differs. For me, mine is golden. I think it being golden has something to do with my gift as well. So, don't be frightened."

"Uhh... should I look away. Like is it scary. You know, when blood is oozing out of eyes in horror movies?"

"I mean, I guess it could be. But the tears are formed somewhat transparent. Not thick like blood. Though, when Erza cries A LOT it kind of looks like that," Natsu shrieks. "Anyways. For some backstory, there's a slight myth that vampires don't age after they turn. And there is some truth to that but right now, I am aging at the same frequency that you are. Only thing is, when a vamp hits anywhere between 20 and 25, they stop aging. Unless, of course they are turned after that age in which they immediately stop aging any further. I guess, it's something to do with our 'biology.'

"So, you are sixteen, like me?" Natsu asks, still focusing in on me.

"Exactly."

"But when I turn 30, you'll still... be 25?"

"Well, this is actually interesting. When we turn 25, or earlier depending, we either get sent to be frozen in time or we don't. The only thing moving when time is frozen, is ourselves and any other vampires that are also frozen in time, or we stay 'in play.' Of course, that is just speculations. It's just common for vamps to go missing after that age, but that could just mean they are running away so people don't find out about us. Hard to say, really."

"So that's why everyone has grown up together."

"Exactly. Another thing to mention, vamps in general, especially a pure blood, has a hard time on picking up on human emotions and anatomy. For instance, when I hopped on your back and you're heart started racing even more when I was calming you down, I was under the impression that it would of slowed when I showed you that there was nothing to be afraid of. I was wrong, I always thought heart rate decreased the calmer someone got."

"Luce... that is what happens."

"Huh? So why did your heart rate increase? Was I still scaring you?"

"U-uh... sure. We can go with that."

"I'm sorry, Natsu. I know it may not-"

"I'm fine now, Luce. Anyways. If you're ready, can you explain your parents?"

"Right.It was over half a decade ago, I was 10. My mom, the woman you saw in my photo. She..." I felt a golden tear hit my hand. I turned to look at Natsu. I was worried that he would freak out but, he just looked marveled. "She passed away, protecting me. Even though I didn't deserve it," Natsu grabbed my hand, and held it tight.

~_~_~_~_~

"Luce, you don't need to continue," I said. Although she was crying, although it hurt me to see her cry. Her tears reflected off her skin so perfectly. It's so unfair... even her crying isn't ugly. Even her crying, is mesmerizing. I know she isn't human, but no creature should be able to be this... stunning.

"It's okay, I'm fine," she wiped the tears from her face with her other hand. After, placing that hand under her to sit on it since it was shaking so bad. Yet, more tears started to trickle down. Before she had the chance to wipe her tears away again, I wrapped my left arm around and grabbed her hand. Along with that, I extended my left leg behind her back, and placed her down on my leg, pulling her close to my body. Hoping that, maybe, she could feel the warmth. 

Her eyes looked into mine. She was in so much pain... I let go of the hand I was holding, and wiped her tears away with my thumb. "Continue when you're ready, Luce. I'm here," I brought her head close, and rested my head on top. She ended up more laying on top of my leg, and across my chest at this point. 

"Thank you, Natsu."

For a few minutes, she just layed there. Other than scooting her butt off my leg, worried that it was going numb, there was no movement other than my breathing, her crying, and my hand reaching up to catch her tears. 

Without warning, "She was killed by another pure blooded vampire, after my mom killed her husband... because I-" her tears practically filled her quivering mouth. "I killed his daughter and he was trying to kill me."

"Luce...I'm sorry."

"Why? You didn't kill her? I deserve to die after what I did."

"Maybe that's true. But, Luce. It's better that you recognize what you did and do everything you can to amend it. Your mom wouldn't have protected you if she didn't see the good in you. Sure, in human terms, killing someone isn't just a 'whoopsies gotta learn to not make that mistake again,' she actually chuckled a little, which brought a grin to my face. "I don't know much about vampires but, even though every life innocent life is precious, it's something I can tell you have learned from. You want to change. You have changed."

"I'll definitely live to atone for my actions."

"I'm glad, Luce. As you were saying? Again-"

"As I was saying," it was small, hardly noticeable, but she smiled at me. "When my dad found my mom killed, and that the woman who killed her was coming after me next, he killed her. The pain from losing my mom was too much. After a year, he left me. I don't know if he's dead or alive. He just left me a note saying that he won't be back. Not even an 'I love you.'

I squeezed her as hard as I could.

"I'm glad you can't suffocate me," although no laugh came out of that, seeing the moment obviously, I can tell that there was even just a little less weight on her shoulders.

"Well, sounds like it's only fair that I share my story. Just be prepared to comfort me back," I booped her nose, trying to raise my spirits a bit before hand. "If you're curious."

"Natsu, you've done so much. You don't have to tell me anything."

"I haven't told anyone. You're the first person I want to tell. You know, not tonight though. What's your favorite movie?"