chapter 2

Once your introduction to the class had concluded and lessons for the day had come to an end, you found yourself confronted by a tall, enigmatic girl with lustrous black hair. "Hi, I'm Yumeko, and that's Mary and Ryota," she said, gesturing to a moody blonde and a shy brown-haired boy. She fixed her gaze on you, her eyes sparkling with curiosity. "You're new here, aren't you, (Y/N)(L/N)?"

You flashed a confident smile and nodded. "Yep, that's me alright," you replied as you rose from your seat. A pang of hunger added urgency to the conversation. "Geez, I'm starving. Anyone up for grabbing lunch together?"

Yumeko's face lit up with delight. "That sounds delightful."

With Yumeko, Mary, and Ryota in tow, the four of you strolled down an empty hallway, oblivious to the whirlwind about to descend upon your lives. Just as you were about to engage in casual conversation, a large group of students passed by, and your curiosity got the better of you. "Who were they?" you muttered.

Mary answered in a tone filled with disdain, "That's the student council and the president."

You turned around, curiosity piqued. "Really? Hey, loopy braids, what are you doing?"

The president and her council came to a screeching halt, their expressions a mixture of shock and indignation. Your three new friends froze in place, unsure of what was about to transpire. "What did you just say to me?" Kirari queried in a cold, hollow tone.

You didn't back down. "You heard me, or have you gone deaf over the years?"

"Nyahahahah, she's so dead talking to the prez like that," giggled Runa. "She's got guts. I like her. Too bad she won't live to see tomorrow," quoted Midari with a sinister grin.

"Tsk, how rude," mumbled Kaede, while Yuriko, Ririka, and Yumemi stayed silent. Kirari, her aura palpably furious, stepped closer and closer to you, her piercing blue eyes locked onto yours. "How dare you speak to me like that? Do you know who and what I'm capable of?"

You met her anger with defiance. "Tsk, yeah, I know who you are. Don't get your braids twisted. You're a Momobami. But, of course, everyone knows that. The question is, do you know me?"

"Why would I want to know such a rude and indecent person like you? What is your name, anyway?" Kirari spat.

"(Y/N)(L/N). Ring any bells in that big head of yours?" you retorted. Kirari's expression shifted from the usual boredom to one of disbelief. She stuttered, "I-I-It's you. It's really y-you. A-after all t-this time."

You replied sarcastically, "Naaa, I'm just a figment of your imagination. You're going mental, Kirari. Better get some help."

In a surprising turn of events, Kirari rushed forward and hugged you tightly. Everyone around stood in shocked silence, trying to process the fact that you had just:

Insulted the president of the academy.Gotten away with it.Actually made the president show some emotion other than a smirk or boredom.

"Haha, well, that went better than I thought," Ryota blurted out awkwardly. Runa's lollipop fell out of her mouth, Midari looked like her other eye was about to pop out at any moment, Kaede had nothing to say for once, Yuriko fainted (only to be caught by Yumemi just before hitting the floor), Ririka's mask fell off, Mary couldn't believe that Kirari could show such emotions, and Yumeko stood there with her usual grin plastered on her face.