chapter 3

The lunchtime atmosphere in the council room remained hushed, the clinking of chopsticks against plates the only sound breaking the silence. Curiosity hung heavy in the air as Mary's question lingered, prompting everyone to look to the end of the table where Kirari sat, her enigmatic aura hardly diminished despite her earlier emotional display.

With a graceful poise, Kirari set her chopsticks down and raised her head to address the room. Her eyes, usually adorned with a detached veneer, now held a hint of intrigue. "How do you know Miss President, (Y/N)?" Mary's question echoed in the room, and it was clear that the answer held significance for everyone present.

You met Kirari's gaze, a flicker of amusement dancing in your eyes. "Well, you see, our history goes way back," you began, your tone tinged with nostalgia. "Kirari and I, we were inseparable as children. We did everything together – played, ate, and gambled." A wistful smile played on your lips as you reminisced about those simpler times.

Kirari chimed in, her voice carrying a soft, genuine note that was rarely heard. "Yes, indeed. We were the best of friends, sharing not just our days but our dreams. It was a bond forged through endless laughter and high-stakes wagers."

The council members listened intently, captivated by the unfolding story. Yumeko's eyes sparkled with intrigue, while Mary's initial suspicion seemed to soften into understanding. Ryota and Runa exchanged glances, seemingly processing the revelation.

"It was all fun and games," you continued, "until that one fateful day when our parents gambled with each other. That's when everything changed."

Kirari's expression grew somber as she took up the narrative. "We were playing in my room, carefree and oblivious, when suddenly, the door burst open. Our parents stormed in, and without warning, they separated us." Her voice carried the weight of those years of separation, and a hint of sorrow flickered in her eyes.

"We were torn apart," you added, your voice laced with a bittersweet undertone. "Our parents whisked me away, and Kirari and I were left wondering why they had taken our closest friend away from us."

The room was filled with a solemn silence as the council members absorbed the emotional history that tied you and Kirari together. The shock and curiosity from earlier had now transformed into empathy and a deeper understanding of the bond that had been broken and had now, unexpectedly, been rekindled.

After a moment, Kirari broke the silence. "And now, by some twist of fate, (Y/N) is here at Hyakkaou Academy, and we have the chance to reconnect."

Yumeko couldn't contain her enthusiasm any longer. "How wonderful! It's like a reunion of long-lost friends!" Her eyes sparkled with excitement as she clapped her hands together.

Mary nodded in agreement, her initial suspicions now replaced by a sense of camaraderie. "Indeed. It's a rare opportunity to rebuild what was once lost."

The council members began to share their own thoughts and questions, each expressing their newfound curiosity about your history with Kirari and their eagerness to welcome you into their tightly-knit circle. As the conversation flowed, it was evident that the unexpected reunion had woven a new thread into the fabric of Hyakkaou Academy's intricate web of relationships, and it was a story that had only just begun to unfold.