~8~

Menacingly, Liz stares up at the wall clock in her room, as if threatening it with her eyes to tick by faster. She was bored out of her mind even with the keyboard perched up on her bedside table and the notebook and fountain pen on her lap. Even if Liz considered herself quite the good company, she didn't like being alone for extended periods of time because not only did it leave her alone with her wandering thoughts, it was also very unhealthy to the human soul.

There were only about 10 minutes or so until Avan's lunch break and knowing the man, he would probably get in her room faster than the speed of light. So impatiently, she taps her pen against the pages of her notebook.

It was becoming a routine to her, seeing Avan at lunch time. She felt as though her day would be incomplete if he didn't come and visit her, or at least wave through her window. Other than him and the occasional nurses that would come and check on her from now and then, there was really no one else who came to see her.

Was she really that unimportant to people? Liz shakes off the thought. It was rather selfish of her, she thinks, to expect people to take time off their days to come and visit a person who wouldn't even remember their significance in her life. But it isn't her fault though, she couldn't even remember how she got into this mess much less so the things that happened before that.

At least she had Avan. He was always very kind to her and patient when she asked him questions that she probably already asked him pre-amnesia. It felt nice having someone make the effort for her. She felt important when she was with him. He made her feel like the world only consisted of her and him, the 7 billion people in existence no where to be found.

"Deep in thought, are we?" Avan's voice deliciously rings out, a goofy grin plastered on his face.

"Finally!" she exclaims, jumping up and pinching his nose between her fingers more harshly than she initially intended.

He winces slightly as she released his nose and laughs silently at how red it was now. Avan catches a glimpse of his reflection in her glass windows.

"Great," he frowns. "Now I look like I should be pulling Santa's sleigh."

"You look like Rudolph," she cackles loudly.

"That's because of you, you meanie," he pouts, pinching her cheek as revenge.

When she yelps at his gesture, he lets go and softly caresses her cheek. Guilt ebbs in his heart as a pout makes its appearance on her breathtaking face.

"Did that hurt? I'm so sorry. I was just playing," he coos softly. "I really am so sorry, Liz."

She slaps his hand away and crosses her arms over her bust. Sitting down on the foot of her bed harshly, she shoots him a glare.

Internally, she was giggling her head off. Liz didn't realize she was this good of an actress.

"That didn't hurt, you dumby. You overreact too much," she snorts, finally breaking character.

Avan lets out a sigh of relief. She was only laughing about it because she didn't know how scary it felt when he watched her slipping away in front of his very eyes. He was so cautious with her now because he could never erase the feeling of guilt in his soul after what happened to her. Every time she would show any sort of discomfort, no matter how subtle, the image of her unconscious self covered with blood and open wounds would flash through his mind and the guttural way she screamed his name before the huge crash would ring in his ears.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"I told you, it didn't hurt," she laughs. "It was my cheek you pinched, not my brainstem."