~9~

It's been a long day and Avan felt as though he was carrying the entire world on his back. Days like these were always so difficult to make through but he knew he had to manage somehow. He had his girls at home waiting for him when he got back.

"Heya, stranger," Liz greets with the smile that could thaw the north pole.

"Hi," he reluctantly smiles back.

Immediately she could tell he's had a bad day. A sympathetic glint beams in her eyes as she pulled him into a tight hug and sat him down on the couch. Her legs go on either side of him as she peppered his gloomy face with a thousand little kisses.

"Did you have a bad day?" she asked before pressing her lips in between his eyebrows.

"Horrible," he shortly responds.

Liz nods and runs the tip of her nose down the bridge of his and nuzzled when she got to the tip. Her hands were wrapped around his neck, making him feel held and loved.

"Wanna tell me about it?"

"She was doing so well," he shuts his eyes tightly in frustration as she started to softly massage his temples. "She was starting to say complete sentences and I was so sure I could give the go signal for her to go to school in a little while. Then, she just stopped going to therapy for a whole week and now we're back to square one."

"That's not your fault though, baby boy. You know that, right?" her long, slender fingers circle his temples for a while and then runs themselves through his silky soft hair, curling a strand of it around her digits.

"It's just so frustrating," he sighs. "I was rooting for that kid so much. She's my only pediatric case."

"Hey, look at me," she softly instructs, cupping his face once more. "I understand and you have every right to be frustrated, but you cannot always control everything, love. You did your best and that's more than enough."

He leans in to her face and softly captures her sweet lips in his, pouring out all his stress. Happily, she wraps her arms around his neck again and angles her head to make the kiss deeper.

"The baby's asleep and it's really early," she gives him a suggestive look, tracing his lips with her thumb. "Whatcha wanna do, Avan?"

"AVAN!"

He was pulled out of his thought abruptly, jumping in his seat at the volume of her voice. Sheepishly, he looks back at the woman in front of him, meeting her irritated glare.

"You were saying?" he rubs the nape of his neck, reddening with embarrassment.

"I've been blabbering on and on and you weren't even listening to me," her lower lip juts out in a subtle manner, crossing her arms. "What were you thinking about?"

He shrugs, "Nothing, just spaced out."

"Don't lie to me when I'm upset at you," she furrows her eyebrows in an attempt to intimidate him, only succeeding in looking even more adorable than she already was.

"I had a pretty bad morning."

He wasn't completely lying. The only reason his thoughts wandered off to those sweet memories of what used to be was because of how awful his day has been so far. If she remembered how he felt about her, Liz would have been wrapping him up in the comfort of her embrace and whisper positive reinforcements in his ear. He craved the luxury of her consolation.

Today had begun with Mia waking up cranky which happened once in a blue moon. He attempted to pacify her by making her a batch of her favorite chocolate chip pancakes but ended up burning them to crisps, and that only upset the child further. The poor creature held onto his leg and begged him not to work when the time came for him to leave her with her uncle. When he gently refused to the girl's pleas, she claimed that nobody loved her anymore because her mommy was the only one to ever love her. No matter how Avan explained that she should understand that he had to work to provide for her, the little one continued to say her father no longer loved her because he had no time for her.

To worsen it even further, he had to change scrubs twice even before his lunch break because two of his patients decided they didn't want to go to speech therapy and thrashed throughout the session. One of them spat on him numerous times and the other urinated on him on purpose. This exactly why he didn't like pediatric cases.

"Aww, I'm sorry," her azure eyes softened at the exasperated look on his face. "Do you wanna vent out?"

A small smile sits prettily on his face at her words. She was always so kind and sympathetic. It baffled him how someone could be so soulful.

"It's alright. Nothing I can't handle."

"If it's bothering you, you shouldn't have to shoulder the yolk on your own, Avan," she holds his bigger hand in both of her smaller ones. "I may not remember you but I do care about you."

"I'm fine. It's just a bad morning," he chuckles, patting her hand over his. "Why don't we talk about how your brain scan went yesterday?"

Liz groans at the mere memory as if she was reliving it. But somehow, she felt as though she was exaggerating because it didn't feel as awful as it usually did yesterday. She thought of him throughout the entire process and it just eased her through it. Obviously, she wouldn't tell him that, but that was the truth.

"It was so noisy," she frowns.

"Oh, yeah? How noisy?" he quips, urging her to imitate the sound once more like she did yesterday.

"Stop making fun of me," she whines jokingly. "You always do that."

Avan chortles and starts to feel the urge to smash his lips against hers. He stops himself, of course, but it still didn't make the yearning go away.

A knock sounds from the wooden material of the door and it opens to reveal a middle-aged man dressed in trousers and a button up with an envelope and a clipboard in hand. A polite smile graced his square-shaped face.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Bunch. I'm here to discuss the recent results of your brain scans," he kindly greets. "It's great that you have your hu-"

"Friend," Avan cuts him off with wide, panicky eyes. "I'm her friend."

Dr. Bunch gives him a weird look before proceeding, "It's good that you have a friend with you to retain the information that you may forget."

Liz feels bile coming up her throat as the doctor brings out physical copies of her brain scan and explains a bunch of terminologies she couldn't fully grasp. Avan, being in the medical field, was able to nod along to the information that was being laid out.

The one thing that Liz was able to understand was, "Your hippocampus is healing beautifully so sooner or later, it wouldn't be a surprise if you start remembering a couple of things."

While Liz was overjoyed, Avan didn't exactly know how to feel.
__________
im so mad. my older sister's jerk ass bf who btw cheated on her in more than one occasion, left her to fend for herself in the middle of the pouring rain last night after a date. LIKE DID HE NOT HAVE THE HUMAN DECENCY TO AT LEAST HAIL A CAB FOR HER OR AT LEAST GIVE HER A LIFT TO THE BUS STATION IN HIS CAR?! SHE'S A TINY WOMAN OF 4 FEET AND 10 INCHES IN THE MIDDLE OF A THIRD-WORLD COUNTRY AT NIGHT! THIS DUMBASS MOTHERFUCKER BETTER PRAY HE NEVER STEPS NEAR ME AGAIN

anywayyysssss, Hope you enjoyed this. Don't be afraid to comment down your thoughts! Lots of love! Be kind, y'all!