~11~

"We met at a flower shop that your aunt owned, didn't we? Didn't we, Avan?"

Avan froze in place, not really knowing what to do with himself or how to react. He didn't expect her to recover this quickly when the doctor said she might start to remember things soon.

Did she know everything?

If he was basing it off the tone of her voice, he couldn't tell if she was angry at him or simply surprised. Liz had every right to be angry at him, he thinks, because he kept their real relationship a secret from her but he had a good reason to do so. It was for her well-being, wasn't it? Or maybe it was because he was selfish.

"Avan, did we or did we not meet in a flower shop?" she tugs on his scrubs.

"Y-yeah, we did," he nods, not even noticing that she already let go of him. "You remember?"

Liz nods, a wide grin dancing on her lips. Her hand held his and started to swing them to and fro.

"How much do you remember?" he anxiously asks, sitting her down on her bed.

Avan walked into that room with a grumbling stomach but now, he didn't feel even a slight tinge of hunger. It was all replaced with shock and excitement. If she was starting to remember him, that's supposed to be a good thing, isn't it?

"Just where we met and how and that you were a freaking flirt," she chuckled. "I was wearing a yellow dress and you were wearing a blue flannel."

He smiles and felt a sigh of relief fall from his lips.

"That's...that's wow! Great!" he exclaims. "Is that all?"

"Yeah, for now, at least," she smiles. "Maybe we got really close because you were such a flirt when we first met."

"Y-yeah," he awkwardly laughs.

Her face drops and Avan feels like hell. She was so excited over this and she had all the right to be. He ruined her mood by being so anxious and doubtful about his own reaction when it really wasn't even about him at all. This moment was supposed to be celebrated and just all about her, but he ruined it.

"You seem a little underwhelmed," she pouts.

"No, no. I'm just shocked, that's all," he shakes his head, running his fingers through his hair. "You're starting to remember, Liz!"

"Didn't expect it to happen so quickly," she bounces in her seat.

"What triggered it?"

"Those flowers!" she points to the vase on her bedside table like a child. "Ariana sent them to me and I guess it just triggered a memory. You know Ari, don't you?"

Avan gives her a small smile, "Yeah, I do."

Her words make his mind wander off to the fact that Ariana was the one who was currently watching over Mia. Another panic-stricken feeling washes over him at the thought of having her find out about Mia and getting mad at him.

He knew he was being irrational with all the overthinking but his relationship with Liz right now was at a shaky place. One wrong move, or saying something slightly off, would potentially make it crumble. Avan couldn't even begin to imagine losing her again, it was too painful when he thought he had lost her.

"Do you know what kind of flower you bought when we first met?" he queries, burying his own concerns to prioritize hers.

"A chrysanthemum," she responds proudly. "And you gave me a free petunia, a pink one."

Avan nods to confirm the information. He takes a deep breath, willing himself to calm down.

Obliviously, Liz leans her head against his broad shoulder. She sighs in contentment, her hysteria slowly wearing off.

Liz felt so comfortable like this. She could stay in this position forever because Avan was her source of comfort and serenity in the midst of all the things unknown. Despite his muscular body, he felt soft beneath her head, both literally and figuratively.

"Sooner or later, I might remember the first time we ever hung out or when we fought fir the first time. Then, I can remember all the other things and life will be normal again," she rambles like a child dreaming of her future, her eyes glowing with hope.

"One step at a time, Liz," he whispers against her hair. "Take things slow."

And for some reason, he found himself praying that she would take his advice.
__________
Dang my writing insecurities rlly do be kicking in lmao but it's okay. Tomorrow will be better.

Hope you enjoyed this. Don't be afraid to comment down your thoughts! Lots of love! Be kind, y'all!