~13~

A piano forte softly plays and echoes through the room. The sound swirls around the atmosphere, filling up all the empty space. Liz's fingers danced around the keyboard, eliciting soft melodic symphonies that made her feel a little less lonely.

Being confined, Liz always felt like she was alone with only her keyboard and her notebook to keep her company. On some days, she would play and play until her fingers ached and her vocal folds dried up, just so the room didn't deafen her with its silence. On other days, she would scribble down words that were carefully woven together in the threshold of her mind, creating different worlds and universes where she wouldn't be so alone.

There were days when she thought she was going crazy, writing down articles on different people that passed by her window, all of it made up of pure assumptions obviously.

She kept her mind working all through out the day with her writing in hopes of triggering more memories. If something as simple as flowers made her remember, maybe her complex writing skills would coax out a few more forgotten ones as well.

"Knock, knock!"

She was snapped out of her daze, her fingers lifting off the keys as she looked up to see a short brunette dressed in an oversized hoodie and chunky sneakers peeping through her now opened door. Liz feels a smile tug on her lips as excitement jolts through her.

"Remember me?" Ariana goofily smiles as she enters, closing the door behind her.

"You annoying dingus, how could I ever forget you?" she laughs, swinging her legs onto the floor and quickly running to her best friend, wrapping her smaller figure up in a hug.

"Oh, Liz, I missed you so much," Ariana gushes as the taller girl pulls away and sits down at the foot of her bed, patting the space beside her. "How are you feeling?"

"Bored," she shrugs. "But I missed you as well. How's the outside world?"

The shorter girl laughs at her choice of words and contemplates telling her about Mia. She realizes it isn't her right to be bombarding her with information that her husband should be telling her about, especially in her condition. Ariana didn't like having to tiptoe around with her memories because they've shared so many good ones since she met Avan, but she didn't really have a choice.

"I quit my job recently. Gonna start my own little online business soon," she proudly informs.

"Ari, that's amazing! I wish I was that courageous," she sighs. "Thank you for the flowers by the way."

"Dude, it's actually my proudest moment to have been the reason behind your little I-remember-Avan thing," Ari chuckles.

"Don't give yourself too much credit. My hippocampus did its thing too."

Ariana rolls her eyes, gently shoving her friend on the shoulder. She cackles as the small motion caused Liz to loose her composure and nearly tumble over her keyboard.

"You're so clumsy!" Ariana cackles, helping her friend up.

For what felt like a few seconds but was actually a couple hours, Liz and Ariana talked as if nothing ever changed between the both of them. It was always how it worked between the both of them. When Liz had Mia, they were forced to spend less time with each other and grow up, but when they did see each other, they would laugh and stumble and catch up like they did when they were only teenagers.

Other than Avan, Ariana was Liz's closest confidant. She could talk to her about anything and everything without feeling like she's bored her out. Their conversation could be about something as shallow as the new song that just came out to something as crucial as what Liz should name her baby girl. The two basically grew up together, dreaming and fantasizing about the wonderful things the future held for them and comforting each other when they feared the uncertainty thereof.

"How did Avan react when you told him you remembered?" Ari queries, as she listened to her friend press random keys.

Liz hits a C4 and attempts to hum it before stooping down to a G2 where she elicits what sounded like a low moan, struggling to hum it.

"He was just kind of in shock," she shrugged.

"Really?" Ari tilts her head to the side. "He wasn't overjoyed or anything like that? Because I'm not gonna lie to you, I shed a tear or two when I found out you were starting to remember."

"You're sweet, dingus, but he really was just stunned," she shrugs again.

"Out of all people, I would have expected your husband to be jumping up and down," the smaller girl shakes her head from side to side.

Liz's ears perked up. She didn't know if her mind was playing tricks with her, or maybe it was just because she liked Avan. She must have heard that wrong. He said they were just friends and that's all they had to be with how he's been treating her.

"My what?"

Ariana gives her a weird look, "Your husband. Are you relapsing or something?"

"I have a husband?!" she exclaims.

"Wait, you didn't know Avan was your husband?" her eyebrows knit together in confusion. "I thought you remembered? Did he not tell you?"

"No, Ari! He told me we were best friends pre-amnesia," Liz starts to breathe hard from the overwhelming information she had just been bombarded with.

And right on cue, the person in question strolls into the room with a brown baggie in his hands and a perplexed look on his face.
__________
B flats can go hurl over a bridge. I foken hate them so much.

This chapter was kinda meh and kinda short but we're getting somewhere

Hope you enjoyed this. Don't be afraid to comment down your thoughts! Lots of love! Be kind, y'all!