~21~

Tuesday came sooner than anyone expected. It was as if time sped up just to steal the few moments that Avan could spend with Mia as a little girl. Avan felt like time came in grains of sand and those that were meant for Mia's childhood was quickly slipping through the cracks in his hands no matter how tightly he held onto it.

The loving father found himself feeling quite sentimental as he stared at his sleeping daughter on his bed. Her curly lashes were touching her chubby cheeks and her hair splayed over the pillow that she used. To other people's eyes, she looked similar to how she was yesterday but to Avan, she looked about five years older than the first time he ever set eyes on her.

Softly, he strokes the child's disheveled hair. His fingers softly combing through the knots.

"Bear, wake up," he softly whispers. "Baby, come on. Morning time."

Mia's eyelids fluttered open to reveal her soft, sleepy eyes that looked like the mirror of her mother's. She yawns before she smiles as she realizes what day it was.

"It's my birthday!" she exclaims, her voice croaky from lack of use.

Her small arms stretch before wrapping themselves around her father's neck. Avan hugs her back and lifts her small body off the bed and into his chest.

"Happy birthday, baby," he greets, kissing her brunette locks.

"Thank you, Papa," she smiles against Avan's chest before looking up at her father. "I'm five!"

Avan chuckles, "Yeah? And how many fingers does five make?"

Mia lifts her whole hand up to her father's face playfully. She squeals as Avan's gently nuzzles the palm of her hand and runs towards the stairs.

"No running on the stairs!" she scolds, sounding just like Liz.

"You're growing up too fast, bear," Avan sadly smiles.

The child obliviously nods at her father.

Avan, although he was very proud of the little girl his baby was becoming, couldn't help but wish that she could stay like this forever— never to part from her papa's care. As a father, it felt nice to be needed by his daughter but Mia was becoming a little more independent as the days go by, smarter and more mature. He missed the little baby that couldn't even walk without her hands being held.

But growing up had its fun moments as well and Avan would never want to deprive his daughter of that.

"I made you a really special birthday breakfast," Avan states, quirking his eyebrows up and down at his wriggly daughter.

Mia eagerly climbs up on her designated chair on the dining table at her father's words.

"Pancakes?" her eyes sparkled with hope.

Avan chuckles and lays a plate in front of the young girl.

"Chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream and a side of bananas and," he whips up a small mug and places it beside the girl's plate. "Hot cocoa with marshmallows."

He could practically feel his heart swell in his chest as Mia bounced up and down in her seat at the mere sight of her breakfast. She didn't get to have a lot of sugar since her father was in the medical field so chocolate chip pancakes and hot cocoa with marshmallows were served to her as often as a blue moon would grace the night sky.

"Thank you, Papa," she smiles at her father with a mouthful of food.

As they got ready for the day, a few calls from close family members were answered from Avan's phone. A few of those calls were from Ketan, Ariana, Avan's and Liz's parents, and her brother, George. They all called to greet the first grandchild of the family a happy birthday which the girl would reply to with a heartfelt thank you and a sweet smile.