Chapter 1 - Historia

AN: This fanfiction will contain spoilers to season four, so I highly recommend that you don't read if you are not up to date with the manga.

This will be a Levi x Historia romance and I implore if you are new to it, please give it a chance. I ship these two hard; I always have from season three and maybe even in season one (but only as a crack ship). I took the love for the ship to the next level after Levi helped Historia out with the orphanage in season three... The warmth that filled me after was just so overwhelming. This seemingly heartless, unsmiling guy showing a soft spot for little kids while helping the sweet Queen Historia out. I thought they made a great team. Historia is eighteen and of legal age, so I only ship them post time skip.

This is also a continuation of my other RivaHisu fanfic Her Majesty's Knight, but you don't have to read that in order to read this (Her Majesty's Knight is NSFW as a warning). I will fill in any blanks if necessary in this fanfic. That story was my own plot but this one will revolve around the current events in the manga. For that, it may eventually stray from canon...

I hope you enjoy and welcome to the wonderful world of RivaHisu. We're a nice community of shippers. Small, but welcoming. And the song inspired for this chapter is the beautiful Ariel singing Part of Your World Reprise for that sweet ocean vibe (as Historia wants to be part of Levi's world) 😁

I swing my legs over the pier, breathing in the sharp scent of brine as I cast my eyes over the sea.

I can't believe it's real. Like a lake but enormous, but instead of freshwater, it's filled with salt. The sun is just about to set as it hovers along the horizon, making the sea burn like liquid fire, and it really is beautiful. The colours are magnificent; I spot orange, yellow, and even magenta.

Never would I have dreamed of seeing such vastness. The waves seem to go on and on forever as it's hard to tell where the sky meets the sea, and now I lock my eyes on the horizon again, wondering what lies beyond.

Sure, we all know now that it's Marley, but there has to be more than just our enemy nation. We have other enemy nations too, but still... there has to be more for us.

After all, we deserve a chance just as much as anyone else. I personally don't think I'm a devil, but devils should still be given a fighting chance.

What was it that Eren always used to say... freedom?

Can we still find freedom beyond the sea? Even now that all the titans are gone? And do I still have to become the Beast? Just enough to shake the earth for the next fifty years? The thought of spreading fear in order to keep my people safe just breaks my heart.

I mean, it's simply unthinkable. They are people with hopes and dreams just like us: little children who wish upon stars, mothers who kiss their babies good night, and grandparents who tell their grandchildren sweet bedtime stories...

The last thing I want to do is hurt any of those people.

Armin always believes in the power of communication. Communication stops wars and creates understanding, but best of all it shows how we are all so similar yet different. It's the differences that make this world all the more beautiful and wondrous.

So... if we can show the world that we are like the mighty lion inside the pages of Armin's book— a beast who just wants to drink from the same watering hole with all the other animals for just a moment, then maybe... we can survive...