Butterflies

A little over a week later, Angela and Ann got to school much earlier than usual. It was actually because they had not taken the bus. Their mum, Mrs. Therese Whitney, had driven them in her black convertible since she had business to attend to near their school.

After waving their mom goodbye, Ann and Angela walked together to the locker room. Immediately they got there, they heard someone call from behind, "Angie!"

It was Alan. "Alan! You're just as early as we are," Angela said, turning around with Ann.

"Where's Nick?" Ann asked.

"Possibly in his homeroom," Alan answered.

"Okay, I'll leave you two," Ann said, rushing past them from the almost empty locker room.

Angela took her stuff out of the locker and closed it gently. Then, without meaning to, she started humming the chorus of Angel's wings.

Alan's lips parted with disbelief. He asked, "Are you humming Westlife's Angel's Wings?" Angela stopped humming and nodded.

Alan remarked, "Oh I loved that song!"

"Really?! It's my favourite. Westlife was-is my favourite band. You?"

"The Struts. But I still remember the Unbreakable hits."

"Unbreakable was good!" Angela beamed. "I am obsessed with Mark Feehily! I love his voice! Ugh! Who was your favourite band member?"

"Shane Filan."

Angela smiled, cleared her throat and began singing Angel's wings, stirringly in her wonderful voice. The words ran:

I would die for you
Lay down my life for you

Alan joined:

The only thing that means everything to me
And when you're in my arms
You make me prouder than
Than anything I ever could achieve
And you make everything that used to seem so big
Seem to be so small since you arrived

Chorus:
On angel's wings, an angelical formation
Angel's wings, like letter in letters in the sky
Now I know, no matter what the question
Love is the answer, it's written on angel's wings

And I often wonder why
Someone as flawed as I
Deserves to be as happy as you make me
So as the years roll by
I'll be right by your side
I'll follow you wherever your heart takes me
'Cause you make everything that used to be so big
Seem to be so small since you arrived

Chorus:
On angel's wings, an angelical formation
Angel's wings, like letters in the sky
No matter what the question
Love is the answer , it's written on angel's wings

Oh, now anyone who's felt the touch of heaven in their lives
Will know the way I'm feeling, looking, in my baby's eyes
That's why I can't bear to be too far away
I know that God must love me 'cause
He sent you to me

Chorus:
On angel's wings, an angelical formation
Angel's wings like letters in the sky
Love is the answer, it's written on angel's _
Love is the answer, it's written on angel's wings

They ended nicely although they could not hit the high note at the end well enough.

"Wow!" Angela cried out. "Your voice is amazing!"

Alan smiled. "Well, yours is more amazing." Angela grinned as Alan added, "The high note at the end is not easy to hit. Mark Feehily did well hitting it."

"I watched an interview of Mark Feehily and in it, he said it took him about five hours to hit the high note at the end. He said he tried his best and he finally got it, thank God."

"I see," Alan said and looked around. He realized that the locker room was then filled with many kids.

Then the loudspeaker made a loud harsh sound. "Good morning, students." It was the principal. The principal continued, "Many of you may have forgotten but I'm reminding you that next Monday is Valentine's day. As usual, the school will have the Valentines dance. It will start at noon and end at exactly 3:30 p.m. Thank you."

"You do know about the Valentine's dance right?" Angela queried.

"I do. Nick and I were informed about it," Alan answered. Then he asked softly, "Would you like to be my date for the dance?"

Angela was taken aback. Feeling fluttery inside, she said, "Yes Alan! I would love to be your date."

A bell rang and they both headed for their homerooms.

At lunchtime, Ann and Angela were sitting at their usual table in the cafeteria with their buddy, Fabiola.

"Hi guys," Nick Forest said as he approached their table. He proceeded, "Can I steal Ann for a while?"

"Of course," Angela said, pinching Ann. Ann struggled not to cry out of pain and she succeeded in the end.

Nick held out his hand and Ann reached for it. Her fingers felt hot in his palm. She stood up and moved with him to the other side.

"Well, Nick what's up?" Ann asked.

"Would you like to go with me to the dance?"

"Sure, I'd love to." Ann grinned. She was getting butterflies in the stomach.

"Well, later," Nick said as he walked off.