Val's Day

The days flew by quickly. On the Sunday before Valentine's day, Mrs. Whitney took her twins to the Très Chic gift shop. There, Ann and Angela got their Valentines. They purchased nice Valentine gifts for Fabiola and their other friends at school. Then they got fancy cards for Nick and Alan.

Finally the next day, Valentine's day, arrived. Mrs. Whitney, like most mothers, made a great Valentine's day breakfast.

Ann and Angela dressed in very simple but stylish outfits. All in red and a bit of white. For the first time in a long time, they had dressed in the same way. They had both gone for a pinned-back, straightened hair look with snap clips and had put on denim jackets over red floral minidresses with cut-outs and white sneakers, a look they had seen Swedish Model Elsa Hosk in.
When they got downstairs, they saw their parents and shouted together, "Happy Valentine's day!"

"Happy Val's day," Mrs. Whitney said, smiling.

"Happy Valentine's day, girls," Mr. Whitney said.

The twins smiled as they walked to the dining room to have their breakfast and then head to school.

All through class, every student like Ann and Angela had their mind on one thing: the Valentine's dance. Thus, when the bell rang at midday, every kid shouted, "Yeah!!!" as they rushed past their teachers out of their classes to the venue of the Valentine's dance.

Ann and Angela saw the usual dainty little hearts everywhere at the rendezvous. At the Valentine's dance, there were junk foods, music and a lot of chatting. Many kids had already started dancing when Ann saw Nick.

"Ann!" Nick said with his right hand at his back.

"Nick! Happy Val's day!" Ann handed Nick the card she had got him.

Nick took out his right hand which held a pink teddy bear and exclaimed, "Happy Valentine's day!" He collected the card and gave the pink teddy bear to Ann.

Taking the teddy bear from Nick, Ann cooed, "Awww, it's so adorable. Thanks."

"Thanks back. The card is superb. You want to dance?"

"Sure. Wait a second," Ann said and dashed through the crowd to find Fabiola. When she found her, she gave her the teddy bear and begged her to guard it with her life. Fabiola laughed at Ann's request but she took the responsibility of guarding the teddy bear anyway. Ann thanked her and went back to Nick.

Then Nick and Ann mounted the platform to dance.

Still shuffling through the crowd to find Alan, Angela looked up at the LED platform where she saw her sister dancing with Nick. Angela smiled, knowing without a scintilla of doubt that Ann was happy. She and Ann had delivered most of the cards they had bought their friends at lunch.

As Angela stared at her sister, someone poked her. She turned and saw Alan.

"Happy Valentine's day," Alan said, handing her a transparent case with a simple but beautiful necklace inside.

"O-M-G! Alan, it's beautiful! Thank you." Angela took the case, admired it and pocketed it. "Happy Valentine's day." Angela gave Alan the card she had bought him.

"Thank you." With the card still in Alan's hand, he bent like an English royal and asked, "May I have this dance?"

Angela curtsied. "Why, of course you may."

Alan led her up to the platform where Nick and Ann were already dancing.

"You look nice," Alan said.

"Thanks." Then Angela saw Libby dancing with a guy from the soccer team. How predictable! She rolled her eyes and ignored the sight. Sia's Cheap Thrills started playing and Angela lit up. She sprung her hands up in the air and moved her hips rhythmically as she danced with her partner.

When Ann and Nick got totally exhausted from dancing, they got off the platform, went to the fruit juice table and chatted. A while later, Angela and Alan joined them. The four ate some savouries, drunk punch and went to see a few contests. Later, they got back to the fruit juice table and continued talking.

As they were chatting animatedly, Ann looked up at the platform and saw Chloe in a stunning pink dress dancing with the captain of the soccer team. Chloe and her partner were the highlight of the day. Something like that was not new to anyone for Chloe always called the shots. Ann groaned and drew her attention back to her conversation with the others.

After some time, Nick and Ann, and Alan and Angela went back to the platform to dance till the end of the event when they ran out of things to talk about. And more so because Miley Cyrus' Party in the USA was on. There were songs to jump up to and the dancing had to continue.

That night like many others, Ann was sleeping over in Angela's room. Ann brought along with her the pink teddy bear Nick had given her. She had retrieved it from Fabiola just before she left the event.

As Angela lay in bed with Ann, she exclaimed, "The Valentine's dance was terrific!"

"Yeah," Ann said, playing with one of her black curls.

"Because we dressed alike today, more people than usual thought I was you. I spent half the day correcting them...telling them I was me."

"Same with me. Difference is I went along with it most of the time. Did you see Chloe's pink dress? It was perfect."

"As always. Don't worry about it, Annie. I'm sure you'll win the Belle Fashion Challenge this year when you compete."

"I wish." Then it hit her. "Wait, are you saying I should compete?"

"You will! And you should! You literally pick out my outfits every single time and they always rock. Always!"

"Well...I'll see."

"I—" Ann and Angela both said at the same time. Then they giggled.

"You first," Ann said.

"Well, I think—" Angela paused, inhaling and exhaling. Then she continued quickly,"—have a crush on Alan."

"Really?! Me too!"

"What?"

"Oh, not Alan, silly. Nick."

Angela laughed, relieved as Ann flushed.

"Alaaann," Angela said dreamily.

"N-I-C-K," Ann spelt.

"Annie, how come you can spell Nick but not other words?"

"And how come you suck at Math?"

Angela laughed.

The twins went to bed after making patterns with the stars in the sky through the window.