Chapter 14

Roselyn's POV

I found that getting ahold of a phone and trying to call Hayden is a lot harder than I thought.

There was no use to running back to the hospital, I am simply not that fit conditionally nor am I that fast anyways.

I can't imagine what's going through Hayden's brain, but I assume he thinks the worst. In the end, since I was so close to the pack house and Hayden's office I'd sit in his office and wait. The pack house was huge, but it felt more empty than ever when everyone's out looking for me.

After fifteen minutes of just sitting there, I notice something on his desk. A phone. Well duh there'd be a phone in here... maybe Morgan was right. I am stupid.

I pick up the phone and begin to dial the only number I remember other than 911. Hayden's. Though before I could press call, the office door bursts open.

Hayden! I would have ran and hugged him, but the look on his face scared me. Besides of the quick flash of relief on his face, there was no hint of any emotion other than anger.

"How could you leave the hospital with out telling anyone? Do you not understand what has happened the last couple of days?!" He shouts.

"No I-"

"No don't talk."

"But-"

"Does your human brain not even understand the simplistic task of shutting your fucking mouth? Like fuck Rose it's almost like I can't ever leave you alone, sometimes it would be nice to have a mate with some common sense and the ability to protect herself!" He screams.

Wow.

I press my lips together and as I feel my whole body shake with anger. Tears threatening to leak out of my eyes.

"Like a wolf could?" I spit out.

I can see on Hayden's facial features the reality of what he said hit him, but before he could say anything I walked out and slammed my door on the way out.

Does he not know how much I wish to be stronger? To be like him?

Once I reach my room I slam the door, along with locking it and moving all the furniture I could in front of the door.

I'm leaving.

I grab the duffel bag I had when I first got here and packed it with everything I needed. The full water bottle from the night stand, two changes of clothes, granola bars I hid in my drawer, and my wallet. I run to the bathroom and throw some grooming stuff I use to stay clean.

I change out of the scrubs and throw black on black sweats and a black hoodie with shorts and a t-shirt underneath.

The whole time I had to be quiet, I could hear Hayden outside calling my name with the constant banging on the door.

I had to wait till way late at night to escape, I couldn't go in the broad daylight like this. I laid in the bed that sat against the dresser and nightstands that blocked the door.

If everyone thought I was useless, I'd find the closest human town I could... if there was any left at this point. If not, I'd survive with what I know, and hope I live.

"Roselyn, please open the door. Please I didn't... I didn't mean those words. I was mad and I-"

I sighed and blasted music through my phone so I couldn't hear him. I knew he knew I couldn't hear him, but he still never left my door. I didn't feel like hearing his excuse.

I couldn't blame him though, who would want a human mate? In this world there a few human towns, and if you're a human not in those towns you're probably a pet. Well usually unless you're in an unusual circumstance like me.

But wasn't I Morgan's pet? They only kept me because Morgan wanted me as a friend.

I'm considered the weakest class in this world. I have no powers, and I can die by basically anything.

And the worst part was no one would let me forget it.

- - -

Finally it's three AM. Two hours before Hayden wakes, and when the least guards were out.

I've debated leaving over the hours, and I unpacked and repacked my duffel bag three times. Every time I try to pack a small bag my heart breaks. As much as I want to believe Hayden will find another mate, I've never heard of someone getting a second chance mate in years. A part of me is connected to Hayden, so leaving would only hurt us both.

I haven't slept yet, but I was fairly tired. Every time I tried to sleep I thought about how stupid I was, there was just an attempt on my life and I put myself right back into danger. Who does that?

After another half hour of tossing and turning in my bed, I decided to get over myself and make my way to Hayden's room. I opened the door without knocking, but Hayden wasn't even in bed.

"Hayden?" I whispered.

Once I made sure his bedroom, closet, and bathroom were all vacant I made my way to the other place Hayden spends the most time, his office.

I knocked softly twice before hearing an annoyed "what do you want" come from inside. That's Hayden.

"Can I come in?" I ask as I peak through the door.

I watch as Hayden's facial features soften before nodding.

With my history I tend to trust strangers easily, it was my one way of making good friends back when I lived with rogues. I became so close with Hayden in such little time, it was crazy how attached I really was with him.

"I'm sorry." We both say at the same time.

We pause before grinning at each other.

"I'm sorry for leaving the hospital. I should have been smarter."

"I'm sorry for calling you weak."

"I am weak though, that's the problem. My back isn't healed, and well, I'm human."

I walk over to Hayden's desk before sitting down on it, "I want to learn how to fight. When I'm healed. That way if I'm in trouble it can buy you time to find me."

"Our training is too intense for you."

Before I can give him a peace of my mind, he quickly adds on, "but I could modify it so it's perfect for you."

"Thank you!" I squeal. "Let's go to bed, we both have bags under our eyes big enough to fit groceries in."

Hayden nods and takes my hand as we make our way to his room and quickly get some rest.