Residue

It was the day after Valentines day.

A considerable new amount of couples walked the hallways of Shiratorizawa academy.

Each one that passed made Shirabu feel like vomiting all over again.

Last night he had gotten multiple texts from Semi, and multiple from Miyu.

He didn't read them. He held on to the last fibers of hope that maybe, just maybe... maybe Semi didn't like her back. And he knew it was a horrible thing to hope for.

Though he was getting his due punishment from this in large amounts of flowers.

And even if he had read the messages, Shirabu wouldn't have been able to bring himself to answer them. He was currently avoiding both Semi and Miyu. He hadn't seen them since yesterday.

The last thing he remembered was Miyu saying "I like you."

Shirabu hated Semi. (Not really. He loved him.)

Shirabu hated Miyu. (Not really. She was one of his closest friends.)

And it wasn't even his fault. It was unfair of Shirabu to hate him. (But Shirabu didn't choose to love Semi either. You could argue that this too, wasn't fair.)

Practice was one hour later than usual that day. Shirabu planned to use this time to plan new ways to avoid Semi, just for a little longer so it wouldn't hurt.

And to run away from reality while he was at it. Maybe look up more about hanahaki.

Shirabu was coated with the thick, sickly sweet residue of heartbreak. Nothing could get through it. All day he walked around in a daze, quickly locking himself in a bathroom stall if he thought he saw any traces of grey hair with black dyed edges.

Two of his teammates in particular were rather concerned by Shirabu's behaviour. During lunch break when they saw Shirabu eating alone, they decided that they would meet up during the one hour of free time they had before practice.