The One Thing He Didn't Learn

Shirabu's parents insisted that they drop him off to school for his first day back. He packed all his bags and dumped them in his dorm room.

Oh, how he missed school. 

The surgery was painful. He didn't get why he had to go through all that. But Shirabu wasn't going to think of the surgery today.

He was very excited for something, you see. 

Morning practice.

Shirabu hadn't played volleyball in a month. And he despised not being able to.

Even though his surgery had only lasted about a week, his parents had insisted he take a few more weeks off.

And then a month had passed without volleyball. He was probably very out of shape.

But he would whip himself back in shape in no time.

When he walked into the gym door, Goshiki cheered. Yamagata threw confetti at him.

"Shirabu! Welcome back!" said Tendou, hugging him.

"Thanks. It's kind of embarrassing, I was out of school for a whole month because of some stupid flowers." Shirabu hugged Tendou back, surprising everyone.

"You don't remember who it was though, right?" asked Ushijima.

"Nope. I don't."

"Shirabooboo! You're so out of character!" yelped Tendou, who was still trapped in Shirabu's embrace.

But hugging Shirabu back tighter, Tendou mumbled,

"I love it though. Guys, come hug Shirabu."

Everyone looked at him, wary. Only Goshiki came forwards, arms extended.

Shirabu backed away from him. Goshiki sulked.

Shirabu sighed, rolling his eyes.

"Fine. C'mere."

Goshiki practically lit up, running towards Shirabu with a giant bear hug.

"Only because I missed you guys!" claimed Shirabu.

"Aww, he missed us!" Shouted Yamagata, throwing the rest of his confetti onto Shirabu. "Anyways, handshake time." 

Yamagata eagerly shook Shirabu's confetti-covered hand. 

Shirabu went around, doing the same to everyone.

When he reached Semi, who had been hanging around the back of the room, he paused, looking slightly confused.

Then he turned around to Kawanishi.

"Hey, I thought you were keeping me caught up with school! You didn't tell me we were getting a new member!"

He turned back towards Semi, a polite smile on his face.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize we had a transfer student. Welcome to the Shiratorizawa volleyball team! My name is Shirabu Kenjirou. I play setter. And you?"

And so, the one thing Shirabu Kenjirou didn't learn:

When to give up. Shirabu never learned when to give up, and this proved to be almost fatal for him. And it carried heavy consequences, like forgetting the identity of his former best friend.

~the end~

(a/n: AND THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO LEFT COMMENTS OR VOTED OR EVEN JUST SAW THIS IT MEANT THE WORLD TO ME <333🥺🥺🥺)