Chapter 8

Enjoy!

Y/n

Luna leads us all to a clearing in the forest where there are willowy black, skeletal-looking horses with wings grazing and minding their own business. My eyes widen and I smile at them, "What are they?" I ask, looking at Luna. "More like, where are they? What are you looking at?" Ron asks, looking around the field.

"They're called Thestrals. Only people who have seen death can see them." Luna explains in her dreamy voice, approaching one of them. Luna feeds all the Thestrals we need and she tells us how to get on. I look around and see Harry taking Hermione, Luna taking Neville, and Ginny sitting on her own. I grab Ron's hand and lead him over to one of them. I put my hand on its face gently and he looks around me, "Where is it?"

I place his hand gently where mine was and he jumps. "It's right there." I say, leaving his hand on its face. He looks a bit frightened at feeling something he can't see, but I can tell that he slowly gets used to them.

"I saw them once we started using the carriages a while back, but I never thought to mention them. They're quite sweet, really." I say, rubbing my hand down its side. Ron comes up to me and I look down at the bat-winged horse. I put my hand on it's back and I jump up, tossing my leg over it to sit properly. I rub my hand on its neck and Ron looks at me with wide eyes, "How am I supposed to get on there if I can't see it?!" I laugh and he pouts.

"I'm serious, Y/n." He finishes, crossing his arms. "I know you are, I never said you weren't. Here, give me your hand." I reach out my hand and he takes it. I turn my body to face backwards on the Thestral, guiding him onto the back. He almost falls a few times before actually understanding where to put himself which was quite funny.

He makes it onto the thestral and I clap in admiration, "You did it without falling this time!" He laughs and I do the same. I look at his gorgeous cerulean eyes and he looks at mine. I then turn back around to face the right way, feeling like it would've gotten awkward if I didn't. Harry and Hermione lead the way, with Luna and Neville following, Ginny behind them.

Ron and I are the tail end and we walk a bit away from the clearing into another, more empty one. Harry starts to take off with Luna and Ginny behind. Our thestral follows suite and we're all in the sky. I feel Ron wrap his arms around my waist as I hold onto the thestral. He pressed his chest against my back and placed his chin on my shoulder, glancing out at the horizon.

I feel my face heat up and I look ahead, trying not to loose track of the others. I look over at Hermione and Harry, and Hermione's clinging onto Harry like a lifeline from behind, her face buried in Harry's jacket. I look at Neville and Luna, and Neville's holding onto Luna's waist almost hesitantly. "He must be all red in the face right now, there's no way he's not." I think to myself as I laugh a little.

"What're you thinking' about?" Ron looks side glances at me from my shoulder and I shake my head with a small smile on my face, "It's nothing." He smiles and hums, looking ahead at the others.

"Is it just me or are Harry and Hermione really smitten?" Ron asks, squinting over at the two. I nod, "Mhm. I've seen it since a while ago. No matter what Harry says about Cho, he's most definitely smitten with Hermione."

"Couldn't have said it better myself." He laughs a little, letting me feel the vibrations of his voice against my back when he talked. I shakily inhaled as we kept flying and Ron looks at me again, "What's wrong?" I shake my head and look down at the thestrals.

"It's not really important, just me thinking about how I can see these creatures.." I bite my lip and he stays silent for bit before deciding, "You can tell me about it before we get there, if you want."

I sigh, looking up to the sky with my eyes, "It was my mother."

He makes a puzzled noise and I then glance at him with a sad smile, "My mother died when I was young but I remember it vividly. And according to my father, it was my fault." I feel my voice start to waver and Ron lifts his head from my shoulder. "It's fine if you agree, I'd understand-"

"You serious?" He asks, sounding offended. I nod just slightly and he stops me, "No. Are you bloody kidding me?" I lower my head and my hair falls over my face. "Your bloody father's opinion is rubbish. In fact, your 'parents', if that's what they call themselves, are bloody terrible!" Ron says, wrapping his arms around my waist again, making me feel secure.

"I know.." I say with low volume. I lay my head back against his chest, hearing his racing heartbeat pounding against my ear. I tilt my head to the side and see the building lights under us as the thestrals fly over the beautiful skyline.

It gets dark outside once we reached where Harry was leading.

We get off the thestrals and race inside, going down one of the elevators and seeing a dark brick hallway lying ahead of us. We all slowly step out of the elevator and Harry says, "This is it." Silently, we all follow Harry over to the door on the other end of the hallway. He opens it and we walk in, seeing a bunch of towering shelves with orbs full of some swirling mist in all sorts of sizes.

Continuing inside, we cast "Lumos" and take a look around. I look over to my left at some of the orbs and notice everyone's looking behind us. I turn and see the black brick door we just came in through move along the floor, showcasing more shelves of orbs behind it. Harry lifts his wand and starts muttering the numbers he sees on the shelves. He runs ahead and we all slowly follow. Once his footsteps fade, I look up and see him turned around.

"He should be here." Harry says, pointing his wand at the ground. "Harry, it's got your name on it." Neville says from behind me, looking up at an orb on a higher shelf. Harry walks over to us and looks up at the orb Neville was talking about. He stares at it for a few seconds and reaches his hand up to grab it.

He glances at us, then picks it up off the little stand and begins to inspect it. The orb starts speaking once he grabs it,

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches.

And the Dark Lord shall mark him as his equal, but he shall have power the Dark Lord knows not.

For neither can live while the other survives."

Hermione whips around and so does Ginny. I turn around to see what they're looking at and I see a man in a cloak with a silver mask walking towards us. "Is that a Death Eater?!" I think as the silver-masked cloak wearing person approaches us slowly from the dark.

Hermione calls out to Harry and he turns around, lowering the orb. Harry draws his wand and rushes in front of us. I stand, my wand outstretched, ready for a fight because I know they're looking for one.

The man continues to approach and everyone behind me draws their wands too.

"I hope it doesn't get too nasty.."

HEYO, I'm back, sorry for the wait but if you couldn't already tell, Nuna is the winner from last chapter's poll! Sorry Ginny :/ Welp, anyways, the ships in the story from now on are as follows:

Ron x Y/n (obviously)

Harmione (Harry x Hermione)

and Nuna (Neville x Luna)

I know it wasn't too many but I wanted to put them somewhere so I didn't forget :)

Word Count: 1381