Chapter Fifteen - Liam

Liam's everything still hurt.

He didn't remember much of Friday night. A break-in, him fighting better than he thought he was capable of, a gunshot, someone screaming, then nothing. He hoped the girls were okay.

He'd been having some REALLY weird dreams, though. One of them was especially vivid and disturbing, with an older woman digging shards of metal out of his chest, with a mask hanging on the wall that matched Veronica's face exactly.

He dismissed the thought. Just a dream.

Taking a deep breath, he opened the convention door.

Woah.

The place was sparkling. The tables were back to normal, the floor no longer had his DNA on it, and everything was immaculate.

Someone's been busy.

He's here!

Four of the girls hug-tackled him at once, causing another spasm of pain.

Lungs...

Right. They got up, looking bashful. Sorry.

After taking a few short breaths to make sure his lungs were functioning, he looked at the girls. They were all wearing hoodies with the brand name on them. He snorted.

Nice touch.

He walked over to Freya, who was hanging back with a sad look on her face.

Hey, I-I mean you- I wanted to say-

Liam hugged her. She exhaled deeply, then returned the gesture, a little too fiercely for his ribs, but he didn't complain.

Glad to see you're all okay.

Bonnie laughed shakily. Glad to see you not laying in a rapidly expanding pool of blood.

Sorry about that?

Are you kidding? If I wasn't the humble bunny I am, I would never let his go. But since you almost died, I'm not going to rub it in.

Rub what in?

That I was right from the beginning and you're a good person.

Well, don't check my internet history.

They stared at him blankly.

You don't know - oh, right, never mind.

Liam yawned.

I am really tired. I'm gonna take a nap.

He walked towards the back office, then spun around.

Oh, and girls? Say hello to your new twenty-four hour guard.

This news was met with more squealing and hugging, gentler this time.

As Liam started back toward the office again, he reflected on the week. Despite the attempt on his life, this had been one of the best weeks he'd ever had.

He settled in his chair.

And I'm sure next week will be even better.