ch. 13

・゜・。

・゜・。

a u r o r a

"mingi, am i going to die soon?"

only silence responds to her.

"i knew it. i don't have much time left."

yeona slowly turns her head to face her friend, a soft smile tugging on her lips. her red eyes notice the wetness of mingi's face and her hand holds onto him tighter. the two of them appreciate the quietness of the room, allowing the ill female to reflect on the best moments of her life.

she is so fortunate for the time she had.

if she was not diagnosed with lung cancer, she would never be able to meet her best friend.

she would never be able to smile, to laugh, and to dream without him.

this was a wish come true.

"thank you mingi," the sick female whispers. "thank you for bringing so much happiness to my life."

hearing her speak once more only causes the visitor to sob even harder than before.

"thank you for staying by my side and listening to my nonsense.

thank you for the gifts you have brought me every time you visit.

thank you for giving me the imagination to live my dream.

thank you for standing up for me to live a little bit longer.

thank you for being my best friend."

yeona can feel tears dripping down her face, yet she is still smiling to her heart's content.

"thank you for everything, mingi. you may not know, but you have done so much for me. i have lived in the darkness, wondering when i am going to leave this world, until you came. you showed me the light of this life."

slowly, the patient's free hand approaches the wire without mingi noticing.

"i still remember the time when i thought you were going to kill me," she chuckles. "i was screaming hysterically while you were trying to calm me down. I was told that you got injected by a sedative drug and then were escorted to the police station. i'm so grateful for our first encounter because without it, we would still be strangers."

her smile then curves into a frown.

"but to see you crying and worrying makes me sad, mingi. i never wanted to see you like this because of me. i know you stand in front of my room every day, looking through the window. you fight with the people who work here all the time for my sake."

her fingers shakingly wrap around the cord.

"you should be spending your free time outside of here, not coping yourself in the hospital for me. you need to go smile more, laugh more."

her grip on the wire tightens and more tears stream down her face.

"i'm sorry for being a burden to you. i'm sorry for making you worry about me. i'm sorry for being the reason for your unhappiness..."

mingi then realizes what she is implying and looks up from the ground, panic written all over his face.

"don't do it," he pleads. "please, i don't know what to do without you."

a bittersweet smile pulls on the patient's lips.

"if we ever meet again in the next life, let's be friends again."

the blond male frantically shakes his head as his hands reach over to the cord that was guaranteeing her life.

but he is too late.

the wire unplugs and a long, loud beep from the heart monitor fills the room.