Chapter 10: Dee and Wai

They were seated at the end of the table in a large conference room. Mew, Gulf and P’Bosser were the only one’s present, for once being early for one of their schedules. It was only 7 am in the morning, and both Gulf and Mew were still sporting headaches from the night before. Whose idea was it to have an important meeting the day after a dinner party anyway? Not Gulf’s for sure, since he hadn’t any idea of its existence until that morning. Mew's alarm had woken up the pair, a romantic song Gulf couldn’t recognize. He’d groaned and complained to the elder to shut it up, but to no avail. Instead the man who was his husband for now had turned over and gently started to shake Gulf. “Wake up,” he had said in such a low voice, “We have to go to a meeting.”

Yeah, Gulf was not happy at all. Even more than unhappy, he was hungry and grumpy. He stared at Mew with a sour expression as they waited for P’Best to bring them some food and medicine to wake up. Mew stared back with a similar expression.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Gulf somehow managed to ask, voice croaking. Even though his head hurt, and he really wasn’t awake enough for this, the bad mood he was in made him impatient.

“About the meeting today?” Mew asked back, closing his eyes and rubbing his temples.

Gulf shook his head, then decided it was a bad idea since it only increased his nausea. “No, I mean, yes, as well,” words were too much right now, but he had to get through this. “The movie.” He said these two words very slowly, leaning forward towards Mew to gauze his reaction.

Mew’s eyes were still closed, almost as if he were sleeping, but Gulf had spent enough time with the man now to know he wasn’t. His attention was averted as P’Best finally entered the room. The smell of breakfast filled the air and instantly Gulf felt a little better. He could not wait to get that down in his stomach. Mew, on the other hand, was more apprehensive with his breakfast. Taking little careful bites slowly. The older husband had drunk way more than Gulf yesterday, so maybe he felt even worse than Gulf did. They were also handed some pills against nausea and pain, and Gulf started to slowly feel more alive.

It was P’Bosser who actually continued the conversation. “It is a really good offer,” he explained while sipping his coffee. Gulf still didn’t like the hard smell of it in the morning. “The director and screenwriter are famous, and the story is perfect for you two.” P’Bosser nodded proudly as he said this. “It’s a great opportunity to act together as well again, there was no way we could deny the offer!”

Mew nodded, agreeing with his manager. “Some of my old co-actors are also casted, and even N’Mild will join. It could be a fun project,” his voice indicated he was now more awake as well. It was a tad higher and less pained. There was enthusiasm present in his voice, but Gulf couldn’t stand it.

“P’Mew,” he hissed, leaning forward so the two managers couldn’t hear him. “You know I can’t act! Casting me in a movie is insane and dumb!” he disciplined his husband, “It’s bound to end in failure.”

Mew in response leaned even more forward, making their nose touch. “It’s not that you can’t, it’s that you haven’t acted before,” he corrected the nong, smug expression on his face.

Annoyance filled him, and suddenly Gulf had no idea why he had trusted the man in the first place. He had lied to him, planned things behind his back and doesn’t even listen to him! Everything he said was always shrouded in mystery and lies, and their whole relationship was a pretend anyway.

He never cared about me! He just cares about his reputation and this universe’s Gulf. I’m just a tool for him to use.

Gulf bit his teeth, wanting to raise his voice at Mew, but this was not the place nor the time. He blamed his lack of sleep and the time of morning for his sudden temper. Sitting back, he closed his eyes and sighed, breakfast completely forgotten. It’s too late to go back now anyway. If he got angry right now and left, it would only cause unnecessary drama.