Chapter 24: Sunflowers

It was already late afternoon when Gulf opened his eyes again. His mind was still a bit groggy as he stared up to the ceiling recalling what happened the night before.

He had kissed Mew again and everything seemed to be fine at that moment, as if everything was going to work out. Only that dream was short-lived once their coffee date had been interrupted by a phone call from Mew's manager. Everything hit the fan when a picture that should never have been taken, of something that should never happened, appeared on the net. Gulf felt his heart break but was willing to hold onto his husband's words when he said it had all been a mistake.

He had been willing to believe him one more time, so that he could prove himself to the younger.

Only to have that trust scattered only a little later, by a realization that completely broke everything Gulf had. He had wanted to give time and effort for his relationship with Mew, so it could heal and they could be together. His plan to break from each other pushed back for then, because he wanted to believe his husband's words.

But then he found out that his husband's words might not be directed at him, instead it was meant for a man a universe away. It just seemed he wasn't the right version of himself.

So, he proposed the divorce. Instead of silently accepting the nong's wishes, his husband had fought against his words. Gulf didn't understand why. Wasn't this the best for both of them? Shouldn't Mew be happy he was willing to accept whatever Mew felt? This way, the elder didn't have to pretend to be in love with Gulf, and Gulf didn't have to pretend to be alright.

So then, why hadn't the elder accepted?

He left the bed still lost in thought, deciding to take a shower to wake up. He forewent showering before bed earlier, too tired and also maybe to spite Mew a little. But right now, he just felt dirty waking up, and wanted nothing more to wash all the filth of his body. Maybe he could wash all these annoying emotions away at the same time. After the shower, he returned to the bedroom only dressed in a towel. There was no reason to get dressed for the day anyway. He would just lie down again and spend the rest of the day playing games or sleeping. More sleep seemed like a nice plan.

Until he heard the sound of someone knocking on the door.

"N'Gulf," he could hear his husband talk through the door, "Can I come in?"

Gulf looked at his appearance, then back to the door. Normally he wouldn't think twice about his husband walking in on him naked, but the current circumstances made him feel uneasy. Instead of answering his husband, he asked: "What do you want?"

He could see the doorknob turn. If Mew wanted, he would be able to enter the room, since it wasn't locked anyway. However, right before opening the door, it seemed like he halted. The door was left closed.

"Let's go get dinner. I reserved a table for us," he shouted through the door and waited for Gulf's reply.

Dinner?

Gulf's stomach growled at the thought. After their coffee date, they had had a quick breakfast, but the nong hasn't eaten anything since. Dinner seemed nice right now. However, that also meant going outside and facing Mew. Was this his plan of getting them to talk?

Gulf guessed he could indulge the husband in this, if only it was for the food and not the company. If things went alright, maybe Gulf could even convince the man about their divorce. He could explain as to why it was a good idea. Furthermore, being in a public space might give them an incentive not to yell and talk patiently about their problems. Having to talk was scary, but it was needed. Any relationship heavily relied on communication. Even an end to a relationship was better to be talked about.