Chapter 28: I love you

A direct flight from Thailand to the Maldives takes accordingly 4 hours and 20 minutes, depending on the weather and other external factors. Thanks to the fact that the plane left at the ridiculous time of 5 am in the morning, Gulf and Mew were able to go through the airport and board their flight without any fans awaiting them to wave them off. Instead, they were just two husbands going on a vacation, just as any other couple did every now and then.

They spent most of the flight sleeping, trying to catch up on some sleep so they could capture the day once they arrived. It was surprising how easily Gulf was able to lose consciousness on the comfortable first-class seats. They hadn't exactly talked about their earlier fight, but Gulf knew it was bound to come up later. For now, both of them were content to just bask in each other's company without any of their underlying and unrelenting drama.

When they landed, as if though they had had an unspoken conversation about it, both of them started walking hand-in-hand in the same direction without a word. Just like last time they visited, a taxi-driver awaited them at the agreed place. They entered the cab, Mew paid him some money, and exited the parking. Mew took Gulf's hand in his again and squeezed it softly, making Gulf smile. He squeezed back as they met eyes, before staring out of the window. Even though it had been 2 years since they'd been here, everything was somehow exactly as they left it behind, filling Gulf with a sense of familiarity and nostalgia.

This was the place he had made some of his happiest memories of his life. As such, it seemed like a fitting location to start their next chapter. Whatever Mew or Gulf went after this, at least Gulf could say they tried. And in the end, wasn't the journey more important than the destination?

Mew had booked the same suite in the same hotel as their wedding-day, making Gulf smile ear to ear. Although his husband was a complete idiot, at least he was a somewhat romantic one. He himself had never been the kind to enjoy overly sweet things like these, but for Mew, he always made an exception. After all, everything Mew did was special to Gulf, just as everything Gulf did for Mew was special to the elder. Through dark times and easy times, they always had held the other close, because they were the most special part of their lives.

"P'Mew krab?" Gulf spoke up, staring at the husband who was standing still in front of their room. "What's wrong?"

Mew had a slight frown on his forehead, his free hand moving as if he wanted to do something but wasn't entirely sure. Gulf's word seemed to break him out of his spell. He turned around towards the nong, frown replaced by a pleading look.

"Last time we were here, I carried you over the doorpost," Mew spoke up, putting down the suitcase he had been holding. "Could I?" the words were filled with uncertainness. Gulf didn't like the sound of it, it didn't suit his husband at all to be uncertain about Gulf like this.

The nong put down his own suitcase, slightly raising his arms as if to say. 'Go ahead.' The corners of his mouth raised in a smile as he saw the husband breathe a sigh of relief, the earlier frown replacing itself with a beautiful smile. Gulf took in a deep breath. He had missed that look on his husband.

Not waiting for another second, the elder husband approached Gulf and put his arms around the nong, enclosing him in a tight embrace. Then, crouching a little so he could move his arms to hold Gulf's hips, he picked up the nong as if he weighed nothing.

"Phi!" Gulf started to giggle. "You're supposed to pick me up bridal style, not like this!"

The phi ignored his struggling, just laughing at Gulf's words. "We've never been the traditional kind of couple anyway," he said softly.

What an understatement, Gulf thought.

Mew brought him all the way to the bedroom, gently placing him down on the bed. He swiftly bent forward to plant a kiss on Gulf's forehead, before turning around and getting the suitcases they had left at the front door.