CHAPTER IX: PARENTS

Since Richard left 2 days ago I spoke to Andy about my plan, and she agreed about what we will do. She told me that her mother used to train women in this island before Andino forbidden them from it. I asked her if she thinks that the ladies would still be up to fight against Philips men. She said she had no power over them but Artemis did. Why am I doing this? Honestly. I'm still asking myself the same question.

"STOP THEM!" I heard the guards yell.

Well let me explain to you why Andy and I are being chased by Philip's men. It all started when

Flashback

"Remind me again why we have to ride horses"

It's not that I'm afraid. I'm uncertain of my capability of controlling the leash to make them listen. And I'll probably end up falling on my butt.

"For the last time Sophie. We are riding the horses for two reasons. My mothers' house is far deep in the woods. And, no vehicle can pass from here" she rolled her eyes.

Her horse was so gorgeous, his name was Ebon. A majestic black stallion. Mine was a female, also black but with a white belly. Her name was Ebony.

We slowed down when we arrived to a dead end. Or so I thought. Two big trees with a small gap between them enough space for the horses to pass through. Andy entered the bushes and I followed behind as we got closer to the other side I saw the most beautiful place I'e ever seen. It was a big pond with a waterfall. Small trees and a variety of flowers were all over the place. Underneath the waterfall sat a woman her long hair reached her shoulders. Olive skin just like Andy. Her eyes were closed relaxing under the clear water.

"Mother!" mother? That woman didn't look a day over 30. Getting down the horses the woman got out the pond. Naked. Water dripping from her shining skin. I diverted my eyes not knowing where to look. She was really tall and fit. I felt so little in front of her.

"Andromeda baby. I have missed you"This was definitely Artemis from what I've been told before.

"And who might you be?" she extended her hand. Her raspy voice sounded so demanding. I gathered all the courage that is left inside to answer that simple question.

"I'm Sophie. Andy and I are friends" I shook her hand. She held it a little too long, like she was studying my face. I felt nervous. Do I have something on my face?

"You have a really similar features to this person I know. She's well. Dead. You can call me Artemis" She gave me a warm smile and walked back to the pond and put a white robe over her body.

"Come" I felt a hand slide into mine.

Not too far from where we were there was a cottage with a very large green space in front of it. It was on a hill and if you look ahead of you, you could see the blue sea. What a sight.

"Melody! We have guests!" I heard footsteps rushing our way followed by a short blonde woman with brown eyes. She was as petite as Aphrodite. She looked at me and back at her daughter. I glanced at Andy to see her eyes wide. She took a run behind Artemis.

"YOU LITTLE SHIT. YOU FORGOT YOU HAD A MOTHER. COME HERE" Melody yelled throwing the hand towel on the table. She stalked after Andy grabbing her by the ear and pulling her away from Artemis. Artemis she chuckled shaking her head gently.

"Ow! I'm sorry. I was busy" Andromeda whined like a kid I just chuckled. I guess that caught her attention cause she smiled at me.

"Hello. I'm Sophie" I said shyly.

"Artemis? Don't you think she looks like her?" she said still studying my face like her wife did earlier. Who are they talking about? Is it a friend? A family member maybe?

"That's what I thought when I saw her earlier" Artemis slumped on a nearby chair.

"Excuse my rudeness sweetheart. I'm Melody" she hugged me tightly.

"Ma'am if you don't mind me asking. Who are you talking about?" I asked curiously.

"Sappho" Oh! I mean yes we did have the same hair same skin colour. But I don't think I'm her daughter. Maybe it's a coincidence. But with all the attraction I've been feeling to this island. The myths could be true.

"Do you want some cookies? They're freshly made." I nodded my head and sat next to Andy. Artemis was reading a book and eating an apple. Without taking her eyes off it she said.

"So how can I help you, Honey?"

Andy recited all the events that has previously happened the rapes the assaults that had occurred and added our very detailed plan to it. Artemis listened carefully nodding her head each time we hit a point. She also asked her if she could see if the warriors are up to join and if she can help them train again.

"And you're doing this for what?" she simply said. I know the question was directed to me but I didn't have the answer just yet. I looked down at my intertwined fingers and sighed.

"Why not? I really want to help. I feel connected to the island somehow. Like I want to protect it from being corrupted and damaged. I really have no clue why I'm feeling like this" Artemis was silent for a couple of minutes, she was thinking hard. She then got up and went away without saying a word.

Melody came back with a plate filled with freshly made cookies. They smelled so delicious. Artemis walked in the room again with a book in her hand. It was another copy of the one I found in the hotel and at Andy's library.

"Sophie come here." I looked at Andy questionably but she just shrugged her shoulder and stuffed her face with cookies. She turned around me and now she was standing behind me. Her intimidating height towering over me.

"May I?" I nodded. I felt her fingers brush my hair gently to the side. Then it was dead silence. I started to worry. I heard a gasp and something falling on the table. I quickly turned around to see Andromeda and her parents staring at me with wide eyes.

"She has the mark"

"What? What mark?"

"Here" Artemis showed me a line in the book that said.

"The true heiress of the island will come back. Black hair, pale skin and a heart shaped birth mark on the back of her neck. All these fit your description" no I can't be her. I,m just an ordinary girl. Not a legend from an old Greek book.

"That can't be true. Anyone can have those. There isn't enough evidence to prove that" I started to feel nervousness flooding into my body.

"Mother. The book. At Andino's house. The prophecy said that only the true heiress would be able to break the locks" said Andy. That's a bad idea. Are we going to break inside his house now?

"There's one way to find out" replied Artemis closing the book

End of flash back.

And that is why Andy and I are currently sneaking inside the castle. It's 2 in the morning and the moon is shining. We're tip toeing trying to cease the noises. She said that she knows the castle like the back of her hand. So I'm following her through the corridors until we reached two huge double doors. There was a lock around them. What are we gonna do now. We tried pulling them but it was useless.

"I have an plan on how to get in but not how to get out" she looked at me weirdly. I took out my pistol and shot the lock three times and it fell off.

"When the hell did you bring the gun?!" I just shrugged my shoulders and pushed the doors open. We heard screaming and yelling around the castle. So we had to be quick. We ran inside. The book was placed in the middle of the room on top of a broken marble arch. Andy ran for the book and I went to the balcony. Well the only way out was to jump off the balcony and dive in the cold water.

"Sophie?! No!" I held her hand tightly and kissed her.

"On three, okay? 1 2.3!" We jumped.

To be continued