CHAPTER XVI: AFTERMATH

Sophie's Pov

Death. Sorrow. Regret.

Things that war gave us. Losing those who are dearest to our hearts can create a big wave of sadness and grief inside that tears us to the point where we wish we'd follow them. Then we start regretting all the time we wasted when we couldve spent it with them and cherished their presence. This emptiness was killing me. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't eat. It has been months since Andromeda left us. There hasn't been a day that I didn't think of her. I wish things went different ways, but who am I to change destiny. Who am I to challenge a goddess' will?

I sat on the empty fields gazing at the stars thinking if I died instead. She had a family. You have them now. If it was I who died would they grief? Would they miss me? Would father look for me? My head started to hurt with all the thoughts. I tried to stand up just to fall back down.

"Sophie. You're drunk" I heard someone say from behind. I reached for the wine bottle but Artemis snatched it.

"G-give it *hiccup* back" I reached for it again but Artemis put the bottle away. I glared at her just to realize the similarities between her and my Andy which brought sadness to my heart. She caressed my hair and hugged me. I had a ball in my throat from holding back my tears but I'm human after all. I cried until I couldn't anymore.

"It's my fault Artemis I-I did this. It should've been me. I should've died that day" I looked at the sky again and begged them to take me.

"Take me! Please...Take. Me" I cried hitting my fist on my chest

"Shh. It's okay little one. Life is cruel. Bad things happen and we have to live with them, embrace them and try to move on. Yes it'll be difficult but you won't have your closure in a matter of days or months. It'll take years and we're all here with you." she kissed my head and comforted me for I don't know how long. I felt my eyes give up on me and a pair of arms picked me up.

"You'll be okay" was the last thing I heard before darkness took over.

***********************************************************

I woke up with the worst headache I've had in ages. My eyes also hurt from yesterday's crying, my throat was dry and my stomach was upset. I remember in the cabin me and Andy shared we had a tub. I opened my eyes to an unfamiliar ceiling. I don't remember anything from last night but I could remember Artemis coming to see me. I looked under the sheets I was naked. Did I sleep with my dead lover's mother? I laid back with my hand on my head.

"Why do you look like you've seen a ghost?" Artemis walked in with a plate of food.

"Artemis why am I naked? Did we...you know?" Her eyes widened.

"What? No! You threw up on your clothes yesterday and Aphrodite had to wash you up then I put you to bed" I let a breath of relief for a second I thought of melody stabbing me in the heart with a fork.

"How are you feeling?" she asked passing me the plate, scrambled eggs some bread, olive oil and a cup of green tea.

"Like shit" she chuckled. Melody was the best cook. I know it's just eggs and bread but damn it tasted so delicious.

"About the status we've talked about. It's almost done." I smiled at her. At least this made me a little better. I did it for her, it was her wish.

"I want them to add a sculpt rock at the bottom for everyone to see. I want all the names of those who died to be carved there. They were heroes and the people should know their names" she tapped my knee and nodded.

"You got it. Now get ready everyone misses you" she kissed my head and left, She was the mother I've never had, other than my real mother's spirit of course. She was there for me when Andy was gone, the others tried to help but I was too closeted to talk.

After a bath I wore my trousers and a loose button up shirt. I left the three first buttons undone because it was warm outside. I put my boots and walked out the room. As I got closer I heard laughter and talking in the kitchen.

Reaching there I saw everyone sitting around the table eating and talking with each other. I shouldn't have been so mean to them, Laura and Claire lost Lara too. But they took it well since they had each other. I had no one.

"Look who decided to finally visit" all eyes were on me. I just waved awkwardly and stood there looking at the floor embarrassed with myself when they altogether came and hugged me. I mumbled a sorry and smiled. I felt them hug me tighter and Samara patted my head.

We went back to the table and we talked about the progress they did with the village. I was told that the men were giving a choice to leave or to stay. Those who chose to stay were giving a home in exchange they'll work as servants or in construction. We weren't as cruel as men but we'd never forget what they did too us when they had the chance. So we'll not go easy on them.

"The status will be done soon. And the water will work again" said Aphrodite as she put a plate in front of Iris. Then she kissed the top of her head.

"Because Iris and I are thinking of having a baby" Iris started to choke on her eggs Samara tried to help by hitting her back but only made Iris smash her face on the eggs. We laughed at them and Aphrodite took a wet towel and cleaned her lovers face.

"What does the fountain has to do with having a baby?" asked Lara. Aphrodite proceeded on explaining about the water. Everyone was happy that they could have their own little girls. I envied them but oh well. Its life.