XI. Wild at Heart

Juliette had gladly taken Hope from Hayley to allow her time to deal with Jackson being gone. She held Hope close in her arms while lulling her to sleep.

She bounced the toddler up and down and walked back and forth through Hayley's apartment after wanting to get away from the compound for awhile.

Ever since Cami finished her transition to become a vampire, Juliette had grown annoyed and irritated by the bartender's new personality.

Hope was restless and Juliette figured it was because Jackson was gone and her mother was upset and grieving. Hope started crying and caused Juliette to panic.

"Shh, it's okay sweet girl," Juliette whispered to her niece. "Auntie J has got you."

Juliette walked over to the little dinning table to look for the little knight that Hope was obsessed with but it was gone.

A door creaked open and Juliette saw her brothers and Hayley walking inside the apartment. "What is going on?"

"The wooden knight that Hope plays with is made out of white oak," Hayley revealed to the Mikaelson sister.

"You've got to be bloody joking," Juliette groaned and quickly set Hope down in her play pin to help search the apartment for the white oak.

"This doesn't make any sense. It was here," Hayley sighed while pouring out a box of Hope's toys. "I saw it."

Juliette threw off the blankets on the couch and flipped up the couch cushions only to find nothing.

"When?" Klaus asked.

"This afternoon. I swear."

Klaus turned around to face Hayley. "Oh, I believe you. We're just here a little too late. There is only one other person capable of deciphering the witch's riddle. The very person with whom I shared my memories of that night. My trusted therapist."

****

Juliette returned to Hayley's apartment after leaving briefly. She twisted the door handle and pushed the wooden door open.

She walked through the threshold wearily after hearing crying. "Hayley?"

Juliette walked further into the room and noticed her friend on the floor, sobbing with one of Jackson's shirts clutched tightly in her hands.

Juliette slid down to her best friends level with a little bit of difficulty due to her growing baby bump. The Mikaelson pulled Hayley in her embrace and let her friend cry on her shoulder.

"T-thank you," Hayley stuttered out. "For being there for Hope and me."

Juliette gently rubbed her hand up and down on Hayley's arm. "Believe it or not, Hayls. You're my family and I'll always be there for you as I know you will do the same for me."

The werewolf and vampire hybrid nodded her head and continued to cry in Juliette's arms. Juliette felt really horrible for having to see her best friend go through all this pain.

"Hayley, I promise you that we will make the Strix pay for what they did," Juliette promised. "Every single one of them."