The Sorting...

Hattie got off the train with the others, walking with them. They heard a large voice yelling for first years, so they followed it. It turned out to be Hagrid. Hattie saw Harry speaking to Hagrid, she decided she'd say hi later.

"C'mon Hattie." Draco said, motioning for her to sit with him in a boat. She did. And they started off towards the school. The lake was black, and terrifying to the first years traveling across it, but Hattie found it calming. She didn't speak the whole ride, just stared at the water. When they got to the school she followed Draco silently. They were all lead to a hall with large doors in front of them, and they could hear noise on the other side.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Now, while you are here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup." A woman said at the top of the stairs. A boy ran up the stairs, grabbing at a toad by the woman's feet.

"TREVOR!" He yelled. "Sorry." He added, scooping up the toad and backing away.

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily." The woman said, leaving the first years alone. Draco stepped up in front of Harry.

"It's true then, what they're saying on the train. The Potter twins have come to Hogwarts. This is Crabbe, and Goyle." Draco said, pointing to two large boys next to him. "And I'm Malfoy, Draco Malfoy." A red-headed boy near Harry snickered quietly. "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand me down robe? You must be a Weasley. Well you'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. Don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." Malfoy said, extending his hand to Harry, who stared at it for a moment.

"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself thanks. C'mon Hattie." Harry said, motioning for his twin to come join him. She didn't budge.

"We're ready for you now." The woman from earlier said, tapping Draco on the shoulder. The students followed her through the doors into a large hall filled with older students. Hattie marveled at the room, with a magic ceiling and floating candles.

"All right, will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbldedore would like to say a few words." The woman said, stopping the first years. An old man with a long beard and strangely familiar eyes stood, his half moon spectacles resting on Hattie for a moment before turning to the rest of the students.

"I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you." The Professor said, sitting back down.

"When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses. Hermione Granger." The woman said, and the curly headed brunette walked forward. She seemed to be talking to herself.

"GRYFFINDOR!" The hat called after a few moments. Clapping took over the hall and she went to sit at the table with a red and gold banner over it.

"Draco Malfoy." The woman said, and the blonde smiled at Hattie, before going up. The hat barely touched his head before it yelled.

"SLYTHERIN." It bellowed. Hattie clapped for him.

"There isn't a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin." The red head from before, Ron, whispered to Harry.

"Susan Bones." The woman called, and a small redheaded girl went up to the hat. Harry and Ron murmured to each other but Hattie wasn't listening. She looked up to the table where the teachers sat. She recognized the one with the turban, from the Leaky Cauldron. Her hand flinched to her forehead. Her scar burned.

"HUFFLEPUFF!" The hat screamed, stealing Hattie's focus.

"Ronald Weasley." The woman yelled, and the red head went to the hat.

"GRYFFINDOR!" The hat called with barely any time.

"Harry Potter." The woman said, and the hall went silent. Whispers erupted throughout the tables. Hattie bit her lip nervously. Despite how he acted towards her, Hattie hoped to be in the same house as him. She did love him. Harry was still on the stool. The hat seemed to take a long time. Finally, after what seemed like hours, but was probably only 5 minutes, the hat made up it's mind.

"GRYFFINDOR!" It yelled, and Hattie clapped for him.

"Hattie Potter." The woman yelled, Hattie walked to the stool. Her legs felt like jello. Her heart beat was too fast to even track.

"Quite a brilliant mind here, you could be great in Ravenclaw, but you're kind. I see a Hufflepuff in you. And brave, maybe even braver than your brother, a great Gryffindor. But I see quite a Slytherin in there. You're difficult, Ms. Potter." The hat said quietly, whispers erupted in the great hall. Another hat stall, and both Potters.

"I know. Just please hurry and decide Hat." Hattie whispered, shutting her eyes with embarrasment.

"Tsk. A hat stall is a great achievement Potter. It means there's more to you than your house. I foresee Gryffindor being difficult for you, because of your brother. Hufflepuff, no you'd get into to much trouble there, and Ravenclaw is a bit boring for you. Very well, very well. It must be Slytherin." The hat says, about to yell.

"No! Weasley said Slytherin is full of bad people." Hattie said, cursing herself for saying it.

"Nonsense. Slytherin has good and bad, as does every house. And you will thrive there." The hat said, waiting for Hattie to argue, and when she didn't, it yelled. "SLYTHERIN!"

"Thanks." Hattie whispered as she walked to her table.