Chapter 25:

I woke up early to the sound of Ezra plucking on the strings of his guitar. He was fingerpicking a soft melody that sounded familiar. I kept my eyes closed and just listened. I was afraid he would stop if he saw that I was awake. I could hear him humming and a tickle of a memory invaded my thoughts. He was playing the same melody he was working through when I walked down to the basement at the old band house.

I opened my eyes to sneak a peek at him and saw him sitting in the chair with his face deep in concentration. The muscles of his arms flexed with each smooth movement up and down the neck of the guitar. His fingers danced across the strings like he had never stopped playing. This was how his life should be—easy, relaxed, with a guitar in his hand. I wanted to watch him play for the rest of my life. I loved Ezra with everything I had in me.

He looked up at me and smiled when he saw me. He stopped and removed the guitar from his lap and leaned it against the wall.

"You don't have to stop." I told him. "I was enjoying it. I love watching you play. It sounds really familiar. What song is it?"

"It's something I have been working on for a while now." He explained. "It's not finished yet. It's the melody I kept hearing in my head the night of the concert when you were wearing that little black and blue skirt."

I smiled at the memory of his desperation to touch me. It felt so long ago, back when we were both different people. We had both gone through so much since then. He smiled back at me and got up from the chair. He crossed the room to the couch where I was still lying down. I looked up at him while he stood tall over me and rubbed his hand through my hair.

"I love you, Riley Davis." He smiled down at me. His eyes were clear and bright for the first time since he came back. He looked more like the Ezra I had fallen for, minus the snarky bad attitude. "I don't want to ever spend another second of my life without you."

My heart leapt out of my chest hearing him say those words to me.

He moved down to his knees and kissed my lips. His lips were soft and warm against mine. He parted my lips slowly and gently pushed his tongue inside of my mouth. Instead of the fire and need that came with every kiss we shared, this time I could feel the bond that had grown between us over the last few days. It was better than anything I had ever felt in my life.

Ezra began to unbutton my work shorts and slipped his fingers inside my panties. He looked down and watched when I my hips rose to press harder into his fingers. He bent his head down and began tracing the curve of my hips with his mouth. I was trembling underneath his touch.

We were lost in each other again until we were broken apart by the sound of a phone ringing. His phone was vibrating, sliding across the coffee table.

"Fuck." He cursed, upset at the interruption. He reached over to look at the caller ID and huffed. I was instantly curious who it was since I really had no idea who he knew or talked to anymore. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before answering.

"Hey." He sounded extremely annoyed at the person on the other end of the line.

"Who is it?" I asked quietly as I pulled myself into a seated position.

I was suddenly nervous it was another girl. I didn't know why that was my first thought, but I couldn't help myself from going straight to those dark thoughts given his history with girls and drugs.

Ezra put his finger in the air and I strained to listen. The voice on the other side was high pitched. He was definitely on the phone with another girl.

He stood up from me and began to pace around the room. Ezra's hand went in his hair and he swiped it back from his face. My anxiety grew the longer he was silent.