Hajime Hates The Smell Of Hospitals

(I tried to do some research on Lymphoma for this story but forgive me if things aren't accurate as I still don't know that much about the symptoms and treatment.)

  "The...hospital?" I repeat, stunned. The person nods. 

   "Called the ambulance myself. I went to bring him some food like I usually did but I found him in a...not well state." They explain.

   "Well, it was lucky you were there, Miss...err.."

   "Sonia," They tell me, "I'm his cousin. He's a horrid cook so I always bring him half of my supper."

   Nagito never mentioned he had medical problems. Maybe it just...happened?

   "What exactly happened with him?" I ask. Sonia looks hesitant.

   "Right...his cancer is acting up again. He's staying there a few nights while they run some tests."

   My eyes widen. Cancer?!

   "He...has cancer?!" I whisper incredulously.

   "He has lymphoma, actually. But you shouldn't hear what's going on from me. You should go see him and hear yourself! Ah, but they're not allowing visitors until tomorrow." She tells me. I nod, hands shaking slightly.

   "Is he...going to be okay?" I breathe. She gives me a sympathetic look.

   "I'm not sure," Sonia replies honestly, "but he's survived much worse before so have some hope."

   "He's had to...survive other things?"

   "Again, you'll hear from him yourself. Go visit Nagito tomorrow, ask the front desk for Komaeda Nagito." Sonia sighs, giving my shoulder a pat before departing from me. 

   I don't believe it. I had no idea he was sick like that! Why didn't he say anything? Since we've been spending time together lately, shouldn't he have warned me in case anything happened to him?!

   I'm going to visit him tomorrow that's for sure, personal opinion of me be damned.

================================================================================

   "Welcome home, Hajime," Kaede greets me at the door, "how is Nagito?"

   I flash her a weary look and she frowns at me. "What's going on?" She demands. 

   "Ah...I ran into his cousin instead. She told me he got admitted to the hospital. Apparently it's a regular occurrence." I grumble. 

   "Is it the lymphoma?" Shuichi pipes up from the couch. I glare at him. Did everyone know about this but me?!

   "I just want to lie down. I'm going to visit Nagito tomorrow. Bring him some flowers or something." I mutter, trudging past my friends towards my room. Not even bothering to get undressed or anything, I collapse on to the mattress, passing out almost instantly. 

================================================================================

   It only feels like my eyes were shut for a few minutes before I was greeting the eighteenth day. I drag myself out of bed, not realizing how much I slept in; mentally reminding myself I had to visit Nagito in the hospital today. 

   I want to stop and get him some flowers on the way there. The only problem is I'm not sure what kind he likes and it doesn't seem like the kind of thing Shuichi or Kaede would know either. I guess I'll just have to guess. 

   I leave as soon as I'm ready; grabbing my jacket and some borrowed-money from Kaede on the way out. Kaede helpfully informed me of a reliable florist on the way to the hospital. Not that I knew where I was going anyhow. I'll have to learn my way around this town sooner or later.