Are You In Love

Kissed. K-I-S-S-E-D Kissed. 

   A mutual kiss, with all the information and secrets out on the table. Does that mean it was genuine? Does he like or like like me? Then-

   "Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that." A voice says from behind, startling me. I turn and there's a smirking Kaede next to a shook Shuichi. 

   "Are you guys...dating now?" Shuichi wonders out loud. 

   "Don't be ridiculous, Shuichi, of course they are. It was clearly love at first sight, you remember!" Kaede insists. I flush.

   "That's not what that means. We...I...It just happened, you know?" I mutter. Kaede grabs my arm and drags me over onto the couch, Shuichi sitting next to us. 

   "Okay, Hajime, time for some real talk. You like Nagito and Nagito likes you. So can you just be together already?! Everyone is waiting for it, even the person who was with Nagito for a few days is waiting for it, the readers are waiting for it! So, go talk to him and get together, please?" She pleads. I furrow my eyebrows, lip raising slightly.

   "I doubt he really likes me like that though..."

   "Hajime, come on, he likes you. Do you see the way he looks at you? Do you see the way you look at him? The way his eyes light up whenever you speak or smile, how he eagerly hangs on your every word? How he touches you whenever he sees the chance? You guys are ready to be together." Shuichi explains softly.

   "Hajime, go to him." Kaede agrees.

   "Right now? You say all of that, but you can't be sure. People just casually kiss often, after all." I mutter. 

   If he likes me like that, he's on the path to eventual love. And Nagito falling in love with me means I successfully complete my task. But...if it took fifty-seven days for him to like me like that, how long will it take for love? That's forty-three days. 

   "Hajime, do you love him?" Shuichi asks. I freeze.

   Do I? I've certainly taken a liking to him and openly admitted to crushing on him but am I in love? I wouldn't be opposed to spending my life with him and when I see his my heart twists and burns and he's often my last thought before falling asleep and-oh. 

   I remain silent, staring at my lap. Kaede smiles gently.

   "I see. Hajime, you need to tell him. As soon as possible." She encourages. Shuichi nods in agreement. 

   "But what happens if I tell him I...love him and he's disgusted with me, it can ruin our friendship!"

   'And since he knows about me he can think I'm just doing it for my assignment.' I add silently. 

   "He has a right to know, Hajime."

   That's....probably correct. He has the right to know, whether he believes me or not. It's risky, but, I have to do it.

   "Fine," I sigh, "tomorrow after work, I'll go visit him and I'll tell him. I'll tell him everything."

   Kaede smiles. "Hurry up, Hajime, we're all waiting."

================================================================================

      "My, My, Hajime, Hajime, Hajime, you did fall for that human after all. I won the little bet we had going in Hell..." The Queen muses. I glare back at her.

   "Let me guess, you're going to interfere again." I accuse. She covers her mouth in mock-offense. 

   "How dare you! I just came to check in and you come after me! How rude!" She sniffs, folding her arms over her chest. 

   "Well I'm fine, so thanks but you can go." I reply harshly. 

   "Aww, I just missed you! I haven't visited in a while. But if you want me gone, I'll go. But don't forget, I'm always watching."

   And with that warning, she vanished.

================================================================================

   "Morning Makoto." I mumble tiredly, joining him behind the front counter. He beams at me. 

   "Hajime! Heard you and Nagito kissed! So, you two are together now? I'm so relieved!" He gushes eagerly. I immediately shush him. 

   "Quiet! I'm going to talk to him after work but until then I need you to shut your mouth." I hiss firmly. He blinks firmly.

   "Understood. I'll stay silent. You can count on me, Hajime." He swears solemnly. I release him, letting out a sigh of relief.

   "Thank you."

================================================================================

   It was such a busy day at work Nagito and I barely saw each other. What a coincidence I don't run into him during the day. 

   After work, I decide to head home first before going to Nagito's. Should I bring him something? Flowers? Chocolates?

   I dress myself nice, a navy-blue long-sleeved button-up and black formal trousers. I comb my hair; spending about ten minutes trying to get the piece in the back down, and failing. I place some cologne I found in Shuichi's room on my neck and wrists. I take one last look in the mirror, deciding I look presentable enough for a love confession to Nagito.

   "Wish me luck!" I call to Shuichi and Kaede who were curled up on the couch watching Property Brothers on the television.

  "Best of luck, Hajime!" Shuichi cheers.

 "Come back with a boyfriend!" Kaede shouts back.

   "I'll do my best." I promise in turn, leaving, shutting the door behind me. 

   On my way over, I stop at the florist once again, the one with Natsuki of course. She's very helpful, recommending red chrysanthemums; flowers of hope and love. Natsuki must be very talented because they are perfect for me and this situation. Love because this is a genuine love confession and hope because of his hyper fixation on the feeling. 

   With a quick thank you to Natsuki, I'm well on my way to Nagito's apartment. Although upon reaching his floor, I nearly collide with Sonia.

   "Oh, my, Hajime!" She exclaims, "what are you doi-oh. Are you here to confess love to my cousin?"

   I blush slightly. "Um, yeah. Does...it seem like a good idea?" I ask warily. Her eyes practically turn to cartoon stars.

   "That's amazing! Oh, Hajime, you're going to make Nagito so happy! Go, Go, don't waste anymore time on me!" She insists excitedly, shoving me down the hall. I stumble to a stop in front of his apartment, apartment 103. 

   Alright. This is it. I'm actually going to do this, huh? Okay, okay, just breathe, this is fine, it's fine. Alright.

   I gently knock on the door.