𝟱 | 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝘀𝘀?

•✩•

•✩•

"Hey Aaron." Amari skipped into his office, a bright smile on her face.

Aaron's face fell when he saw how happy she was. He had just spoken to Elle. And he didn't know how to tell Amari that she was never coming back.

"Hey." He said softly, tentative about the topic he knew she was going to find out about eventually. "What's on your mind?"

Amari shrugged as she flopped onto the couch in his office, lying face first into the cushion that decorated it. "Aren't you supposed to be home? Having a talk with Haley?"

Aaron shook his head, "She's at her parents house with Jack. They're only getting back tomorrow."

Amari furrowed her eyebrows at his words, aware that he couldn't see her face. "Oh okay." She shifted so that he could see her, resting her head in her palms to supper her. "You haven't happened to see Elle? I was supposed to wait for her. We had a movie night planned for today with Spence."

Aaron blanched. The one topic he was hoping Amari wouldn't bring up. But alas, she had, and it was his duty as her friend and boss to tell her the truth.

"I did." He said curtly, knowing he'd have to choose his words very carefully.

Amari perked up at that. "Did she go home? I'm pretty sure she would've at least called me to say she was cancelling."

Aaron sighed and stood up from his desk, walking over to his couch and waiting for Amari to sit up so that he could take a seat next to her.

"Amari," he said softly. "She's not coming back."

"She- what?" Her voice broke.

Aaron placed his arm on her shoulder affectionately, "She has left the unit. It was in her best interests."

Amari felt helpless as she felt the tears prick her eyes. "This is about the last case? Right?" Her eyes met Aaron's and he felt his heart tug at how broken they looked. "What happened?" He stayed silent. Amari knew it wasn't his fault, but she still didn't understand what had happened that night. One minute, she was having an impromptu sleepover with Spencer, the next, Elle was on the jet, barely speaking to anyone.

"You can't tell me." She said sadly.

Aaron nodded, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. "It's to protect her. I promise."

Amari felt the tears roll down her cheeks and sobbed, "She's really not coming back." She whispered.

Aaron sighed as he wrapped her up in a tight hug. He knew how close the two of them were. It was the one thing he knew would affect Amari the most. And it did.