𝟭𝟲 | 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗳𝗶𝗹𝗲𝗿, 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗳𝗶𝗹𝗲𝗱

•✩•

•✩•

After Amari and Spencer had made it to Derek's mothers house, she could tell that the detective they'd brought along was irritating them. So she thought it best to check out the youth center they had mentioned with the detective, leaning Spencer with Derek's mother and two sisters.

"Hello, Mr. Buford?" Amari called out as she walked into his office. Her eyes flew to the golden trophies lining the shelves and the numerous certificates on the walls. "This guy's been honored by everybody but the nobel society."

"That's Carl Buford." The detective replied, stuffing his hands in his pockets as he stood aimlessly in the room, letting her poke around.

"Who are you?" Amari turned around to see a young boy come out of the back of the office.

"I'm with the FBI." She offered him a small smile.

"Do you know Derek Morgan?" He asked her, stepping a little closer to her.

Amari nodded. "Yeah, he's a friend of mine."

"I've been trying to call him." The boy shrugged.

"He's a little busy right now. Is there something I can do to help you?" Amari offered, noticing his face fall.

"I just... a friend of mine. Someone killed him yesterday." The big replied. This must have been the recent victim's friend.

"Do you know something about who might have done it?" The detective stepped forward and asked.

The boys eyes flickered over to him before returning to Amari. "No. Derek's always telling me if I need somebody to talk to, about anything, I can call him. Guess I just wanted to... I don't know."

"I'll tell you what." Amari pulled out her notepad and pen. "Why don't you give me your name and I'll let him know that you've been trying to reach him."

"James Barfield." The boy—James—replied.

"Does he know where to find you?" Amari asked as she scribbled his name down then stuffed her notebook back in her pocket along with her pen.

"He can find me here." James said.

"Anytime.?"

"All the time." James flashed her a little smile and Amari smiled back politely before he left and herself and the detective made their way back to the station.

They walked in, the detective and her paths converging as they both approached her team and his partner.

"Morgan won't even talk about Buford." She overheard Hotch say to Gideon and Gordinski.

"He won't?" Gideon asked.

Gordinski shook his head. "Buford should be that kid's hero."

Gideon's face was grim. "Something happened."