𝟳 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘃𝗶𝘀𝗶𝘁

•✩•

•✩•

"Have a seat." Hotch said as he himself took a seat behind his desk, staring Morgan down as he took the seat opposite to Hotch. "Now, I'm going to allow to explain yourself before I explain that case you just brought up."

Morgan nodded and took a breath. "I received a message earlier today that upset me — two actually. My mom is sick, she had pneumonia, it's pretty bad. My aunt messaged like she does every year and asks about my cousin, who is still missing — that's what I had to tell her. I was upset that I couldn't be there for either of them." He said sadly. "Look Hotch, I don't know what I was thinking saying those things. I was just angry, and I took it out on her."

Aaron nodded, staying true to his word and hearing his side of the story. Instead of replying to Derek, he clasped his hands together in front of him, taking a deep breath.

"June 2004." He said softly, hearing Derek gulp. "The Seattle office was alerted of heightened terrorist activity which was proved by an influential terrorist group claiming responsibility for a large bomb that was planted somewhere in downtown Seattle." Hotch thought back to the moment they'd found out, the amount of internal panic he'd felt as he sought out one of the youngest agents in the office, prepared to work with her by his side.

"You were right in saying that every agent was pulled from their assignments, this threat was far too great to ignore. When we located the bomb, Agent Cirillo, myself and a few other agents were given the task of deciding the safest way possible to defuse it. It was Amari who realized that it would have been made like dynamite, but without the stabilizer. Something about a new trend in the terrorist world." Hotch muttered the last part, "The decision to send the bomb squad in there was per Amari's recommendation. But it was concluded by the team that we were apart off. It was as much my fault as Amari's, and it was as much the five other members of our team as mine."

Morgan felt worse than ever as he wished the chair he was sitting it would swallow him up. Usually, the muscles of the team exuded confidence at all times — right now, he was doing the exact opposite. He stayed silent as he let his sorrow consume him. He let his guilt gnaw at his gut as his sadness filled the void in his eyes.

"You should apologize. And accept her apology, if you want." Hotch carried on speaking, monitoring the agents reaction carefully. "Usually, this would be grounds for suspension. But I trust that this will never happen again."

"It won't." Morgan said softly, thinking of all the ways he could make it up to her.

Hotch nodded, "That will be all. Go home Morgan, the paperwork can wait until tomorrow."

Derek nodded, knowing that even if he fought the order, it was best for him to go home and get his head straight.

"Goodnight Hotch." He mumbled as he stood and headed for the door.