2 : your number..

I WAS WALKING INTO the building when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

Startled, I turned around quickly and pulled out my earphones only to find that guy right in front of me.

I breathed out heavily in annoyance.

"what?" I said, speaking in English as soon as I saw him.

He raised his hands and took a step back saying, "sorry for startling you, I just wanted to say sorry for earlier, I think I offended you. And you probably think I'm a stalker or something, but I swear it's nothing like that, I just wanted to say hi because you know, we live in the same building and go to the same school and all. Also, sorry for assuming you just speak English, that was my bad."

He looked pretty nervous as he said all this, I narrowed my eyes at him for a moment and sighed, saying,
"it's okay, I realized I might have overreacted to be honest, so, sorry for that. I've just had my guard up every since I got here."

He smiled when I finished talking, me smiling back.

He opened door for me and we both went into the building.

"I'm Mark by the way, I live on the 7th floor," he said.

"I'm-" I paused for a moment, thinking about what I should tell him my name was. My birth name is Thando, which is what I've been called since I was born. My Korean name is Nayoung, as given by my dad's family, and it was what I put
on my school forms here.

I went to a school that taught Chinese so I had a Chinese name as well. I didn't have an English name so I couldn't decide what to tell him.

He tilted his head to the side, looking confused as I realized I must've been standing there thinking about what to tell him my name was.

"I'm Nayoung," I said. I realized he probably thought I was lying about my name since it looked like I was thinking it up for a while.

"it's a long story, but it really is my name" I said, slightly laughing.

He laughed back and said, "um, okay, I'll, um, see you around I guess"

"yup. See you around" with that, I turned on my heels and walked back to my apartment to go take a nap after the long day.

"wait!" he yelled and I turned around, in disbelief at how loud he yelled.

"yes?" I asked, confused.

"um, well, you probably don't have a lot of friends since you just moved here, right?" he asked, kind of cautious.

"ummm yeah I actually don't know anyone," I said, looking quite embarrassed.

"well you can hangout with me, if you want to, until you meet people, or not -- you know, you don't have to its just, uh..." he said, sounding really nervous.

I laughed out loud at his shyness, thinking of myself "really? You're not gonna try kill me or anything, right?" I asked, genuinely concerned.

His eyes widened and quickly said,
"no, no, of course not"

"right, because killers always announce that they're killers." I said, taking a moment to think to myself.

"sure. Ok. I don't have anything to lose I guess." I said smiling at him.

I reached into my backpack and took out my phone, handing it to him to put in his number.

He looked really confused looking at the phone so I pushed it closer to him saying, "your number..."

"Ohh, yeah, right haha"

I laughed at that and waited patiently as he gave me his phone too. We both got in the elevator after exchanging numbers and he was about to press the button but paused, saying, "wait, I realized you never said which floor you live on..."

"Oh, 5th!"

"Ok", he pushed the button and we stood in silence.

he cleared his throat and I looked over at him. "Um, I noticed you have an accent when you speak English, where are from?"

"Oh, I'm South African."

"Ohh, wait really?"

"yup". I said as the elevator stopped on the 5th floor.

"bye. It was nice meeting you." he said, waving at me.

"mhm. See you around." I turned and walked down the hall to my apartment. I got in, took off my coat, got ready for bed checking my phone to see a missed call from my mom.

I yawned and put the phone down, getting into bed and deciding I'd call her in the morning.