That Kind of Scene

Darkness reflected back at her as she stared at the entrance of a building. Unfortunate for her it was the very building she had to enter.

No matter, she could always whip out her phone and turn the flash light on, the trusty flash light that won't flicker and die when she needed it most, like how they show in the movies.

Double unfortunate for her when she found her phone to be completely drained of batteries.

Huffing out of frustration, on her bad luck and her own clumsiness for not charging her phone she realized she still had something to save the day for her and spare her from walking into the clutches of dark. Darkness being the one thing she always feared.

Disturbance and hooting sounds diverted her attention to the end of the alley. She saw a handful of rough looking guys trashing through the over filling dumpsters and littering cardboard boxes.

It seemed like they were looking for something. As one of them moved a little more aggressively than the others; she could swear she saw the dreading glint of a gun nestled behind his jacket under the waistband of his jeans.

Ok time to go, she thought as she swiftly took her camera and turned on the filming option that immediately lit the flash light on, effectively illuminating her way as she entered the building and hurriedly took the stairs in order to reach her destination.

She will simply have to edit this extra part out of her interview footage, later. But right now it's better to not stay on the streets outside.

The quicker she gets this interview done the better. She was not having a good feeling about tonight, already.

She found the conditions here worse than they were outside. People are suffering under the biased systems of this society. The so called system seemed to have only been fair to those with money and power, more than just fair, in fact, in favor.

One of these days somebody has to stand up and finally say, enough.

The thought made her scoff bitterly. She knows she's far from that person. She could barely help herself let alone be able to take on such an enormous feat.

Besides what can she do to change the ways of this crumbling society that's been following on the same faulty steps of its precedent's slanderous traditions, for years far before than even her grand-grand-parents were born.

What can someone as small, as insignificant and as lacking in any kind of power as her, could do to alter even the miniscule part of something as anciently corrupt as the ways of this world.

Where her thoughts made her upset in worry for the innocents that suffer because of these dire conditions, another thought arising from her previous one gave her some semblance of hope.

Maybe that's it; maybe it is not for one person to change it all for the better.

Maybe everyone has to do their part in benefit for others and hope for the fruit of their labor to become sweet, in time. Individually become the best in your own place and do the best in your own capabilities. However small it may be, it will for sure make a difference, if not that instant, surely in the long run.

Lost in her thoughts and determination to not let the conditions surrounding her falter her hold on hope and believe that no good deed goes to waste; she didn't notice she had arrived to her intended floor until she bumped into someone.

A small squeal left her mouth before her flash light landed upon a figure few inches shorter then herself. Definitely a child.

Her expressions were of course of shock, since she so unexpectedly bumped into someone, not to mention in the dark. Still the shock on her face could in no way match those wide round eyes, quivering lips and pale perspiring skin. This child looked like he had seen a ghost. The fear was more than evident in his quickened breathing and it made her feel sorry as well as worry for the well-being of this poor little boy.

"Hey, calm down, its ok little man." She crouched to his level holding one of his arm tenderly in hers.

"What are you doing here in this dark, do you live here?" she asked in a hushed tone as he had hurriedly motioned for her to keep her voice down as soon as she began talking.

The boy shook his head upon her question.

She wondered why else would this boy be here and moreover what could he be so afraid of. Did he see something that frightening? Or rather someone perhaps?

She thought of asking, realizing she couldn't help herself but ask one question after the other. Occupational hazard.

Before she could voice it out, a loud sound pierced through the eerie silence of the almost abandoned dark building, causing them both to jump up startled.

Where she jumped up to her feet upon being startled of the sound that likely was from something crashing, the boy on the other hand got more than just spooked, yanking his arm from hers he ran towards the other set of stairs that were leading to another floor.

"Hey!--" that's all she could say before the darkness engulfed his tiny stature, perfectly hiding him from humanly vision.

Taking a deep breath she walked towards the door that was slightly ajar, spilling some of the lights from inside of the apartment outside, only slightly illuminating the floor. But enough for her to be a little less uncomfortable.

She recognized the number on the door as the one she was supposed to be coming to. Also this apartment was the one the crashing sounds seemed to have come from.

Standing so close she could now hear the noises of someone talking on the other side of the door. Normally it's not in her nature to eves-drop or even peek into other people's rooms or homes.

In her defense, as much as she could make out the conversation, she felt it suspicious.

Surely just a fleeting, innocent little peek wouldn't make her a horrible person, right?

So switching her flash light out as there was plenty of light inside, she took a peek inside from the slight opening of the front door and came face to face with a scene that left her mouth more ajar than this door.

A kind of scene she was usually hoping to catch, being in a profession of journalism, but never really does. Though the person she came face to face with was more than surprising to her, also the fact how she instantly recognized him even after only meeting once and it wasn't even a good meeting.

---------------------------------------------

A\N:

Hope you enjoy.

dont forget to gimme your feedback.

also what do you think is going on behind that ajar door?

what do you think she will see?

how much do you think will she see?