(30) Cade

It felt like a sleeping spell because it was too good of a dream to wake up from. He knew all too well the kiss was forbidden. But it doesn't stop him from thinking about it. For wanting it. And he's been tempted far more greatly every day he was with her under the guise of innocent friendship.

It was easier to keep it up when there's at least a good distance between them. Inches though, not so much.

He was thinking straight. But when his mouth found hers, his mind goes blank. He spiraled out of control. Lost in her warmth. Lost in the feel of her against him.

Her nails dug on the front of his shirt, tugging and clawing. Like she couldn't seem to get him close enough. A part of him was pleased because he wanted her to want the kiss as much as he does.

Their mouths parted, but only to come up for air from somewhere deeper than waters and oceans could be. They pulled apart, both panting, hearts racing synchronously.

Cade's forehead pressed against hers. He still has his eyes closed, refusing to wake up from the spell. Not just yet.

Kathie's arms were still wound around his neck, her slender legs locked on his hips. They stayed like they were meant to be there. Like they have kissed before and it was always meant to be.

It felt so damn right having her close. So close there was no room for air or light between them.

However, dreams – even the best ones – are still dreams everyone is bound to wake up from. Cade opens his eyes and then watched hers flutter open.

Her rich brown eyes were misted by something nameless he was pretty sure he had on his eyes too. The mist lingered, then panic took over.

Kathie unwrapped her legs from his waist and her arms was back to her sides. The only remainder of the kiss was the slightest smudge of lip-gloss on the corner of her mouth and the fact that she was still sitting on the counter where he's lifted her.

They stared, fascinated at the escalation of one innocent moment to a blistering one.

She swallowed. "Cade," she breathes.

"I know." He swore softly.

They shouldn't have.

Fuck, it should feel like a mistake, but it hadn't. Not even in the slightest. Morals and virtues aside, Kathie's lips were the sweetest things.

Of all grave consequences, his concern was, he can't lose Kathie. He would rather be just a friend on the sideline than lose her.

Fuccckk.

It sounded more pathetic than he thought.

His phone rings and they both flinched. The caller ID blinked like a beacon across the screen.

They exchanged looks. Her face sported relief and he realized he was relieved too. Never in his wildest dream had he ever thought that Margot Fletcher could be the source of his relief.

However horrible it was, Margot in the picture is a safety net. He and Kathie both knew that. With her around, they could keep the friendship and avoid situations like this one.

But he needed her to say it. He needed to know this is what she wanted, so he looks at her, handing her over the decision to make.

Kathie swallows one more time. "Answer it," she murmurs, her gaze darting to her lap.

He nods. "Okay."

They both knew there was more to it than answering a call. It was a mutual decision neither of them was brave enough to put in exact terms of the words. In fact, wordlessly, they agreed.

Cade answered the call. 

Hi, guys! Tell me what you think on the comments below. Don't forget to vote. It would make my day. Love you! Xoxo