Ending (2) Kathie Jane

Kathie Jane

Kathie Jane

"Why do we have to crash old people's party?" Cade grumbles as he waits impatiently for me to open the door of the community space I rented out.

I gave him a secret smile. "I may have lied about that."

I told him some folks in our building were having a reunion at our apartment's community space and they told me to drop by at the party.

Cade inspected me behind his glasses. "What are you up to, Kathie Jane?"

"You'll see." I winked, opening the door.

He hesitantly pushes it further to peek inside and flinched in surprise when our families and closest friends chorused, "Happy birthday, Cade!"

Confetti rained down on the floor and balloons floated iridescently.

He blinked once. Then twice.

"You really think I'd forget, didn't you?" I pecked on his cheek, pulling at his sleeve to make him step inside.

Cade stared at the huge banner plastered on the wall, a horrified look on his face. They were childhood pictures of him collaged in one ginormous display. "Kill me."

"You like it? We really invested so much time on that." Christian approaches him with a big hug.

Cade flicked his brother's forehead. "Assholes," he murmurs quietly so only Christian and I could hear.

"Come on. You have got to like it." Vren steps out from the huddle followed by Andrei, Matthew and Chandra.

It wasn't a big party. We only have our families together. And some of his friends he very slowly acquired. Our parents were more than glad to make it an intimate celebration. I could've organized a bigger one, but that would've been disregarding Cade's discomfort.

My sister was very happy to come with their little Georgie and Ethan who's giddily waiting for his turn to greet his Uncle Cade. Nathan and his cousins, Walsh, Spencer, Reese and Colin gladly took the invitation. Although these particular guests have little time to stay, they greeted Cade in a way that slightly shows emotion. I'm gradually coming to understanding why my boyfriend liked them.

Birds with the same feathers flock together after all.

Ethan flung himself at his Uncle Cade's leg and blurted a very loud and chirpy, "happy birthday, Uncle Cade!"

I let Cade enjoy the attention of our families, staying close to Chassie and her newborn baby. When the birthday candle was lit, we all gathered around and sing the wonderful birthday celebrant whom I've been sharing great deals of happiness in the past weeks.

"Make a wish, Uncle Cade." Ethan was wrapped in his arms and look at him with so much adoration. "You have to close your eyes."

Cade looks my way and closes his eyes to blow his candle.

"Looks like he's already had what he just wished for," Chassie says in a sing-song voice.

I laughed.

The small celebration lasted at ten o'clock in the evening and I've never been pleased with myself as I was when I see Cade's smile the entire party. When our families left to call it a night, I pulled out the rolls of garbage bags I brought with me and started cleaning up. Cade has had to answer an important work call and I refused to disturb him.

I gingerly stepped toward the floor-to-ceiling glass window in the corner of the room to stare out the city for a bit.

Cade came up from behind, his arms going around me like a warm blanket. He kisses the outline of my ear. "Finally."

I rested my head on the crook of his neck. "You liked it?"

"Everything you do can't be 'unliked,'" he whispers.

I shuddered at his warm breath. "Well, I'm really happy you like it. You're worth the cleanup duty," I say, brandishing the garbage roll like a wand.

"It's not midnight yet. It's still my birthday and I still need attention." He plucks the garbage bag from my hand and toss the roll on the floor. He turns me all the way around, guiding my arms to hook around his neck.

"I'd be happy to oblige. What sort of attention do I have to service you?" I teased.

His hands went to my waist as he leans in so our foreheads touched. "Tell me how much you love me?"

I bit back a goofy grin, my heart swelling for his request. I trailed kisses to his jawline and stepped a little closer. "I love you more sweetly than a chocolate bar. I love you more sweetly than how you take your coffee. And I love you more sweetly than those ridiculously sweet strawberry cupcakes you're really into."

The smile he gave me was tender and dimpled that I couldn't fight the wide grin threatening to stretched my lips. "What did you wish for, Cadey?"

"I don't really have anything to wish for as long as I have you," he says, his hands brushing my sides.

"Say that again and you won't be wishing for anything forever, because it would be really hard to get rid of me."

"I'm a lucky man then." He dipped his head and kisses me.

I hope you're all having a great time this New Year's Eve! Here's my Holiday gift to every single one of you guys. This year has been hard, but it has been a blessing too. If not for 2020 I wouldn't have met readers whom I share so much in common with. Okay, I don't want to get emotional here so I'm just going to say Epilogue will be posted on New Year's Day!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I love you, guys! You mean the world to me. ❤️

 ❤️