Sweetheart

Wednesday morning was not good to Luke. He woke up late, had to rush to put on his makeup, nearly fell over while putting on his lightwash skinny jeans, and to top it off he went to school. He was thankful that Michael wasn't in honors classes like he was because that meant he would have to see him more. And that was precisely what he did not want.

"Mr. Hemmings, are you paying attention?" Mrs. C shouted, rousing him out of his daydream. Third period world history was mind numbing.

"Um... yes?" He said. Everyone laughed. In truth, he was replaying what had happened with Michael in his head. He was still trying to make sense of it all.

"I want you, princess."

"Really?" Mrs. C raised an eyebrow and look down her hooked nose at him. "Then I suppose you can tell me all about the ancient Chinese dynasties."

His cheeks reddened. "No, Mrs. C."

The elderly woman sighed and took out a pad of paper, slightly familiar to Luke. "Detention, Mr. Hemmings, for not paying attention in my class. This is the third time I've caught you zoned out this month. I advise you to get your head on straight before you end up in a bad situation."

Too late, he thought.

At lunch, Luke and Ashton sat at their regular table on the far side of the room. Luke was sulking. He had gotten his second detention of the year and he knew his mum was going to flip.

"It's okay, Luke," Ashton was saying. "She'll get over it. Your mum is cool."

He hummed and popped a french fry in his mouth. He knew she would eventually get over it but her initial reaction was going to be fearsome.

"Hey, princess."

Luke groaned and dropped his head to the table. He was not in the mood to deal with Michael. The red-head sat down next to him as one of his friends sat next to Ashton. Luke was pretty sure his name was Calum. He was the star of the school's soccer team. Calum stared at Ashton who stared at his lap, obviously uncomfortable with the situation and attention.

"What do you want, Michael?" Luke asked exasperated.

"We already went over this," he said.

"I mean now. What do you want right now?"

"Still you," Michael shrugged and stole one of Luke's fries. "I heard you got detention. What'd you do, sweetheart? Mouth off to the teacher?"

"Sweetheart?" Luke gasped. "I am not your sweetheart!"

"I bet you will be," he winked. "So what did you do?"

"None of your business," Luke turned away.

That was a mistake. If he had kept his eyes on Michael, he would have been able to see and therefore stop the hand that landed on his upper thigh. Luke's eyes widened to the size of dinner plates. "Get your filthy hand off of me now," he said through gritted teeth.

Michael fake pouted. "Aw don't be like that, princess."

"Stop calling me that."

"Only if you'll stop being so damned beautiful."

Luke gaped at Michael who just winked and stood up. "See you later, princess."

He walked out of the lunch room with Calum at his side as if none of that happened. Luke turned his head to see Ashton staring at his food with red cheeks.

"What's up with you?" Luke asked.

Ashton swallowed hard. "I think Calum Hood just hit on me."