Love

For the next week, Michael gave Luke the space he had begged for. He wasn't constantly around Luke, invading his personal space. He wasn't across the hallway, staring at him with heated eyes. Only a few times did he pop up.

Once on Friday in the lunch room he gave Luke a kiss on the cheek and said, "Have a nice weekend, love." And once in music class, the only class he shared with Michael, a note was passed to him saying 'You look beautiful today, princess.'

But that was the extent of their contact. Luke felt so confused. And Ashton wasn't much help. These days he talked mostly about Calum. He was happy for his friend. He finally found a guy he liked but he wasn't helping Luke with his issue.

"Calum's so sweet," Ashton gushed one day. "He bought me a cookie at lunch!"

"I know, mate, I was there."

Another day after school, Ashton said, "Do you think Calum likes my red bandana better or my blue one?"

"Not sure, Ash. Why don't you ask him?" Luke replied, only half listening.

"I can't ask him! He'll think I like him!"

"You do like him!"

It was next Friday when something happened again. Luke was putting away his books for the day when he felt strong arms wrap around his waist and he breathed in the scent of leather. Michael leaned his chin on Luke's shoulder.

"Hi, princess," he said.

"Hi," Luke said, turning around in his arms. Their proximity was shockingly close.

"How was your day?"

Luke bit his lip to hold back a smile. Michael was being so sweet. "It was good. What about you?"

"Better now," he said, somehow managing to pull him closer. "Would you like to go out with me?"

"Y-you mean like a date?" Luke said. What happened to the Michael who basically said he wanted to fuck Luke deep into a mattress?

"If you would agree to call it that, then yes," Michael said, tracing Luke's features with his thumb. "If not, then as friends."

"It's up to me?" Luke asked timidly.

"Of course," he said. "What matters is how you feel. I'm happy either way, so long as I'm with you, love."

Luke furrowed his eyebrows. "Why are you doing this, Michael?"

"What do you mean, princess?"

"Well you're the bad boy of the school. You never talked to me before all of this. And last week you were all sexual and dirty with me. Now you're being sweet and kind," he said. "It's a bit of a 180... I'm so confused, Michael."

Michael smiled and let go of Luke, holding out his hand instead. "How about we walk and talk?"

Luke nodded and let Michael guide him out of the red brick building. Michael insisted on carrying Luke's backpack. He had to stifle a giggle at how ridiculous the boy in the leather jacket looked with Luke's flowery bag slung over his shoulder.

"You said last week in detention you didn't know what you want. I'm giving you space so you can figure it out and I'm acting so different because I want you to see that I can," he started. "It became clear that you aren't the kind of person who likes...well me. You're the kind of person who wants a cute relationship. I want to show you that I can give you that."

Luke was touched that Michael would change for him. "I think that's awfully sweet--and uncharacteristic of you."

Michael smiled and squeezed his hand.

"But, Michael? You shouldn't change for me," he said. Michael looked puzzled. "I'd want to date you for you. Not you acting like someone else. Because that's kind of lying."

"But the thing is, princess, you don't want to date me."

"Then maybe I shouldn't."