Babycakes

Their styles didn't change or anything. The next day Luke went back to wearing flower crowns and turquiose vans and Michael went back to wearing black skinny jeans and leather. The only thing left to remind each other about that day was Michael's vivid pink hair and Luke's black lip ring. Which his mother did freak out about.

Michael and Calum sat with them at lunch everyday now. Sometimes only for five minutes and sometimes for the entire period.

The entire school was baffled. Badass Michael was hanging out with sweetheart Luke? Were they a thing? No one knew, including Luke. Luke had been wondering about that for the next two weeks. Michael would kiss him quickly and walk to his next class and hug him from behind when Luke was at his locker. But he didn't know what they were.

Were they close friends? Boyfriends? They definitely weren't friends with benefits. They hadn't done 'the deed' yet and there were too many feelings, whatever they were, to be no strings attached. He was determined to find out.

Next Wednesday after school, Luke told Ashton to go home, that he had to do stay after for help in biology. Instead, he sat on the back stairs of the school doing some math homework and waited for detention to get out.

He sat there for an hour, the chill biting his exposed neck and wished he brought his scarf. But he survived, only slightly upset because his skin was going to be so dry. Somehow he remained patient. The sound of the door opening made him jump up.

"Princess, what are you doing out here? You'll catch a cold," Michael said with concern.

"I... I wanted to talk to you," he said. Michael nodded and began walking with Luke.

"What's wrong, babycakes?" Michael asked. He grabbed Luke's hands between his own and began warming them.

Luke only hesitated for a second before asking, "What are we, Mikey? I mean, we've kissed and held hands and stuff. But what are we?"

"What do you want us to be?"

Luke frowned. "Don't pin this all on me. You're opinion matters, babe."

Michael sighed. "You know what I want us to be," he said.

"And what's that?"

"More," he said. "More than whatever this is, Luke. And you know that. I've told you. Now you need to tell me if you want that too."