Chapter 44 •~ If It Was Only Just a Dream

Chapter 44

     If It Was Only Just a Dream

                      *******

"Days will pass, and you'll abandon things you were addicted to, and leave someone, and cancel a dream, and finally, accept a reality."

Nizar Qabbani ~

*--*--*--*

"Yama, my child I'm feeling well. You must leave for the office now. Besides the nurse will take care of me."

Yama studied the face of his grandmother, the lines on her face were deeper and a thick gray braid lay over one shoulder. She looked thin as if her weak heart was slowly draining the rest of her.

He took her hands,though wrinkled and weak but these were his protector and guide all his life.They braced and caught his fall when as a toddler he crashed upon the floor. He is no longer a toddler now but these hands still reach out to him save him from the ruggedness of life.

"I'm not going anywhere.The office work can wait...".

"Yama don't be childish.You have an important project launch today and the new team needs you".

Amina wanted to be fierce, but she sounded weak instead.

"The only one who needs me right now, is you my dearest grandma".

He smiled and asserted. Setting the tray in his grandma's lap, he put the plate on top and pulled away the napkin.

She huffed at his obstinance knowing very well that insisting any further was of no use. Amina was the corner stone of his life, His emotional anchor,his fountain of unconditional love and his only family.

Having lost his parents in an accident at the tender age of three, the role of raising Yama fell squarely on her shoulders.She was a widow and had no one to chip in,and yet she still managed to put the food on the table. Growing up he had seen her work relentlessly just to keep the house running and make him feel special.Their family was very small just the two of them and therefore they remained as an incredibly closed duo.

~•~•~

The suitcase laid open before Hera, but there was very little in it. She had underestimated how difficult this would be and had left the unpleasant task of packing her belongings until nearly the last minute. Now as she sat on the edge of her bed and teased the frayed edge of her quilt between her fingers, she felt remarkably overwhelmed. She wasn't afraid, yet.

But she knew the fear would come. It would come when she was alone and vulnerable. Out in the middle of the ocean with no one to turn to for comfort, on her new journey.

The next morning Hera arrived at work ten minutes before her appointed time.She ambled through the deadly silent building, excluding the occasional cough or heels clicking across the floor of the rare visitor, and found herself following her usual path. She was ushered into a small conference room fifteen minutes before the meeting was scheduled to begin. Four people were already seated while the rest of the seats were unoccupied yet.

Few others in a crisp blue suits slid in and took seats at the end of the table near the door.A man in a dark suit entered and sat to her left.Hera couldn't recognise him but the name tag above the pocket of his shirt said,"Tristan".

Nobody spoke.

The next person to arrive was Hammad Philips,the man who recruited her for this job,and right behind him came a tall woman,the sound of her high heels against the hard floor announcing her arrival,with highlighted hair and in the tightest business suit ever. The hall suddenly seemed to be filled with womanly aura.She cruised confidently to the chair next to the head of the table and sat down.